Hood Struts ?? | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Struts ??

Interesting mount location/ position.. Are the Stock?

I don't think they're stock, they must be from another aftermarket manufacturer. What I'm trying to figure out is who that might be and what the part# is. I like that solution better than Redline's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may need to go to Europe to source them

Since it seems to be a commercial for a new Explorer, I would think they may be stock. I watched another commercial which had a good view of the engine bay and it also had the struts AND the prop rod. I don't know it would have both but I also don't know why they would so a commercial for a new vehicle with modified parts added since customers would expect them to be on every Explorer.:dunno:

Peter

Since it seems to be a commercial for a new Explorer, I would think they may be stock. I watched another commercial which had a good view of the engine bay and it also had the struts AND the prop rod. I don't know it would have both but I also don't know why they would so a commercial for a new vehicle with modified parts added since customers would expect them to be on every Explorer.:dunno:

Peter

Could be. On Ford's Russian site we see only the prop rod, so who knows?

Those are within ~$20 of what I paid for the redline kits with ebay coupon.

Those are within ~$20 of what I paid for the redline kits with ebay coupon.

Indeed. I don't have an issue with Redline prices (In fact, I have one of their sets on my Focus). These Russian ones look heavier-duty, and I like their mounting better.

Make note of the mounting location. Yes they may be more structural sound than the Red lines but...…..

The anchor base is against the frame rail. The gas tube goes front to back and also note the battery is installed further in from the fender so the inside frame rail has more room. I am skeptical that this would fit a US model. I am not saying it can't be done but I found Redlines instructions and mounting location easy to follow, install and be functional.

Make note of the mounting location. Yes they may be more structural sound than the Red lines but...…..

The anchor base is against the frame rail. The gas tube goes front to back and also note the battery is installed further in from the fender so the inside frame rail has more room. I am skeptical that this would fit a US model. I am not saying it can't be done but I found Redlines instructions and mounting location easy to follow, install and be functional.

I'll be sure to report how I make out. They seem to fit Stroker's Canadian model no sweat...

Indeed. I don't have an issue with Redline prices (In fact, I have one of their sets on my Focus). These Russian ones look heavier-duty, and I like their mounting better.
They look cheaper/weaker/smaller to me. In this case, I would need a much more significant price differential to go with anything from Russia vs a local company with local support.

They look cheaper/weaker/smaller to me. In this case, I would need a much more significant price differential to go with anything from Russia vs a local company with local support.

You mean in case your supports need support?

I'll show myself out, don't get up.:)

You mean in case your supports need support?

I'll show myself out, don't get up.:)
I think you missed the point. Anyway, make sure to try the veal and don't forget to tip your server...

The struts came from Moscow yesterday. Took less than 30 minutes to install this morning. Of course, being the great handyman that I am, I drilled the hole in the RH side plastic cover in the wrong place originally, but then I kinda sanded it down, made it look pretty, like it's always been there. Struts themselves look good, seem plenty tough. What's interesting is something else: it appears the truck is actually designed for a setup similar to this one. That is to say, the mounts for the brackets that came with this kit are already on the fender under those plastic covers. One wonders, then, why Ford doesn't include those struts themselves.

There is an irony to all this in my particular case in that, as someone who grew up in the Soviet Union back when getting so much as an air filter for your Lada was often a challenge, I find the idea of getting parts for my American vehicle from Moscow particularly hilarious.

Hoodstruts.jpg

I installed the Redlines on my 2018 in about 20 minutes...super easy and no drilling. Plus, easy to get replacement struts in the future if needed...and you can easily remove them if you want to transfer to another Explorer.

Back