How do 22s affect driving? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do 22s affect driving?

I'm looking for people that actually have these on an X. I want to know if their gas mileage was affected and if so was it noticeable? As for handling/braking/ride quality please give specifics for the differences. I am planning on 265/35/22 tires. The way I see it the stock sized tires are pretty big so the weight difference shouldn't be that much. If anyone knows what the stock rim/tire combo weighs and what a 265/35/22 tire weighs please post that as well. Oh and lets not do the 22s are ugly, 20s are for posers, etc etc ETC. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

22's i know will affect your pimp stat's on the street....but i don't think they will affect driving so much as stopping...that will be weaker but not by much. I've driven my uncles X he has a 1996 with 20's and it seemed to ride fine altho it is harder to stop cause of the xtra weight of the tires and size of the brakes but not that bad some people have thought about switching to Sport Trac calipers or something cause they are bigger....search for it.

uh, 22s compared to stock is around 50lbs of difference bud. i have 20s, and even with aftermarket brakes, it's nothing like stock. there's no official weight difference, you will feel it, the more speed you pick up, the sooner you have to stop, you're going to have to adapt.

ride will be very effected if your roads are chopped up. the sidewall on that tire is around 3", don't hit potholes or you're f'd.

don't expect braking performance and good mpg from 22s, at all, that's just ignorance.

I don't expect things to be exactly the same, just not as bad as some people male it out to be. I drive my X nice and calmly so I'm not worried about the stopping, just really the mpg. Do you think getting an intake, high flow cat, and catback will make up for the decrease in mpg? And you're saying its 50lbs difference per wheel? So you're saying a 22 with a 265/35/22 weighs like 100lbs?

My wheels are around 72lbs weighed at the shop. That's a 275/45/20 tire with a 20" wheel. Yours is going to be heavier because of more rubber, same pressure, and a bigger wheel. They will weigh a ton. Putting my wheels back on is always a biatch though, can only hold the weight for so long.

draft said:
My wheels are around 72lbs weighed at the shop. That's a 275/45/20 tire with a 20" wheel. Yours is going to be heavier because of more rubber, same pressure, and a bigger wheel. They will weigh a ton. Putting my wheels back on is always a biatch though, can only hold the weight for so long.

Good point. Any idea what a stock wheel/tire weighs? 40lbs or so?

Ryde _Or_Die said:
Good point. Any idea what a stock wheel/tire weighs? 40lbs or so?

depends on what the rim is made of, aluminum rims are lighter, chrome ones are heavier.

with my 22's the braking is better... i have better traction due to the width of the tire

stopping distance may have gotten worse, but i dont notice it, the brakes suck as it is. (some times they work good, some times they dont)

well my semi stock rims (saying semi because they are 16's{maybe 15's} but aftermarket) those weigh quite a bit, more than the ones i have now... probably not.

*edit*
quality... well i like it more, its harder, but i like the ride

gas milage, i didnt notice a difference, im still getting the crappy 240ish to a tank

my handling is a lot better, traction is a lot better, turn radious still the same, fun factor has increased (although show off factor has decreased, by this i mean smoking the tires)

the wall of the 265/35... rim to floor (for me) is about 2.5" but 3" from the rim to the outside of the tire

don't forget the wider your tires are the more they will track on the ruts.. Also the wider they are the more your prone to hydroplaning..

NusenseSD said:
Also the wider they are the more your prone to hydroplaning..

there are facts to consider when saying that...

i did a little reading up, because 1) i was assuming (because i remembered hearing somewhere) that after wide tires break free (hydroplane wise) its harder for them to get the traction due to the width.

upon reading... (info gotten from TireRack.com) "directional tires" are designed to reduce the posibility of hydroplaning.

they still hydroplane.. The wider you go the more contact patch you have. While yes they are meant to push the water out they can only do so much..

This is a drastic example but a friend of mine put a set of 295 rear tires on the rear of his Silverado and the first rain that he went through the back end started to come out from under him. He then immediately slowed down.

A skinnier tire would put more pressure per square inch so it won't let it ride on top of the water.. So while they may do better on wet roads you still can hydroplane..

22's on a truck.. Ok and what is your rappers name. lol

ill just say trucks are a bad example...because they have very little weight on the rear end, therefore they are more likely to hydroplane/fishtail than any other vehicle out there (especially if the truck is RWD)

FYI im not disagreeing with you NusenseSD

davidmmm69 said:
22's on a truck.. Ok and what is your rappers name. lol

Why do you have to be a rapper to have 22's on a full size chevy?

Price of 22's have come down a lot in the last year or so.. Ever since 26's and 27's have hit the market 22's are a lot cheaper.. Shoot factory trucks come with 20's .. Hmm.. Wonder when my racord is going to come out.. I got 20's on my ranger..

rims.jpg

FYI im not disagreeing with you NusenseSD

I hear ya.... Thats why I said it wasn't a good example.. I just know way to many people that have gotten in over their head with going to a larger tire.. Especially a street tire.. A/T tires you get a away with a little more since they don't hydroplane as bad.. He might not even have any problems.. Just a good thing to be heads up..

never seen a 35 or 33 inch tire on a 22 inch wheel...

I have honestly never seen a 4WD with 22 inch wheels...
Do they even make em that high...
I just checked to be sure and this is the biggest say BF goodrich makes...at least in a AT tire...
LT285/55R20 37x12.50R20 LT325/60R20

The new trend I have seen over the past month locally is big rims (20+) with even bigger tires (mud tires). Actually like it myself, but you have to get a lift and stuff which is just going to killmy gas mileage.

davidmmm69 said:
never seen a 35 or 33 inch tire on a 22 inch wheel...

I have honestly never seen a 4WD with 22 inch wheels...
Do they even make em that high...
I just checked to be sure and this is the biggest say BF goodrich makes...at least in a AT tire...
LT285/55R20 37x12.50R20 LT325/60R20

Toyo makes

Open Country MT's

38X15.50R20
37X13.50R20
40X15.50R22
37X13.50R22
and soon 37X13.50R24

Open Country AT's

LT355/60R20
LT305/55R20
LT325/50R22

Nitto

Mud Grappler

LT 35X12.50R20
LT 37X13.50R20
LT 38X15.50R20
LT 37X13.50R22
LT 40X15.50R22

Terra Grappler AT

LT 305/55R20
LT 325/60R20
LT 355/60R20
LT 325/55R22

These are just a few of them.. There are others out there .. As big wheels get more popular lifted trucks (street ****s) want to have the bigger rims to. Plus you can't just slap a set of 44's on 15's anymore due to trucks getting bigger brakes.. Most trucks you can't put a 15" rim over the brakes anymore, which is good.. Personally I think a nice 18" rims with a 33 or 35" tire looks really good.. Sidewall isn't to big and the rim seems to fit them perfectly in overall looks..

what the hell is a street ****???

most 15" are on older trucks anyway and the brakes are still the same as they were unless you upgraded the brakes.

just looking thru one of my new magazines and they compared 15 and 18 inch and there is a big price difference.. on the 18's and i could not imagine the 22's!!!
$$$$$

davidmmm69 said:
what the hell is a street ****???

A lifted truck that will never hit the dirt.. Street only

street.jpg

This truck is either rollin on 22's or 20's .. Can't remember the pic was taken last april..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

davidmmm69 said:
most 15" are on older trucks anyway and the brakes are still the same as they were unless you upgraded the brakes.

just looking thru one of my new magazines and they compared 15 and 18 inch and there is a big price difference.. on the 18's and i could not imagine the 22's!!!
$$$$$

Well some good 22" tires run around $250/tire.

Back