How do I tell what rear end I have (gears AND manufacturer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I tell what rear end I have (gears AND manufacturer)

jim_canada

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hey y'all. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer that needs a rear end. I found the Axle code on the VIN sticker, which is a D4 (3.73 Limited Slip). But, a buddy tells me that I'll need to know the manufacturer also for the correct tools. How do I go about finding that out? I've been on a few sites and entered the VIN (1FMDU75E92ZA78144) and can't find out any more info. Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the answer would be Ford... When ordering parts they will need to be for the Ford 8.8 differential.

Ok, maybe what I meant to say was the axle "model", not manufacturer. He says that different models, i.e. dyna, take different tools to complete the job. So, axle model is probably what I'm looking for.

Ok, maybe what I meant to say was the axle "model", not manufacturer. He says that different models, i.e. dyna, take different tools to complete the job. So, axle model is probably what I'm looking for.

Yes. The ford 8.8.

Hey y'all. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer that needs a rear end. I found the Axle code on the VIN sticker, which is a D4 (3.73 Limited Slip). But, a buddy tells me that I'll need to know the manufacturer also for the correct tools. How do I go about finding that out? I've been on a few sites and entered the VIN (1FMDU75E92ZA78144) and can't find out any more info. Please help.

OffTopic I've happen to be on the ford recall website I entered your vin. I just wanted to give you a heads up you have open Recall on your Explorer for the Speed Control System . Might wanna get that fix @ ford it's free your explorer might catch on fire this recall should be fixed a.s.a.p.

Back