How do you aim your headlights lower? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you aim your headlights lower?

I put in some new bulbs and i noticed that they were aimed to high. Ppl in front of me were pulling over to the side and then turning on their brights on me. I was wondering how i could adjust them to aim lower.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

perfect all i needed to know thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should be able to adjust them < and > but it is more involved. you would need to remove the turn signal/trim assembly to access the screw that adjusts < and >. last time i had it apart im pretty sure i saw a way to adjust it, i know on my 2nd gen you can adjust them left and right.

Okay so me and my friend both have the same explorer and HID's. With my car, I notice a significant cut-off point of the headlights but with my friends explorer, it seems like everything is perfect and there is no cut off that you can see. He thought that it might be because his explorer is lifted and mine does not have the body lift or 32 inch tires. I was wondering if I should adjust my headlights because I drove in the fog this morning and noticed that my headlights are not quite level.

Also, I noticed that there are a few dark spots on the ground with my headlights. Its not a solid clean beam on the road and there is a few dark spots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay so me and my friend both have the same explorer and HID's. With my car, I notice a significant cut-off point of the headlights but with my friends explorer, it seems like everything is perfect and there is no cut off that you can see. He thought that it might be because his explorer is lifted and mine does not have the body lift or 32 inch tires. I was wondering if I should adjust my headlights because I drove in the fog this morning and noticed that my headlights are not quite level.

Also, I noticed that there are a few dark spots on the ground with my headlights. Its not a solid clean beam on the road and there is a few dark spots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All of that is normal with HID bulb retrofits. They change the position of the light source in your housing from what your housings are designed for, this causes your beam pattern to get..... odd.... Not much you can do about that other than try different retrofit bulbs until you find one that gives you a halfway decent beam pattern (you won't, but some are better than others).

If you want to level your headlights, point your truck at a wall from 20 feet away. This gives you a much more accurate picture of where your lights are pointing. From there you can adjust up or down accordingly. With HIDs it is common courtesy to put the brightest part of the beam pattern just a little lower than you would with a halogen.

If I were to offer you better advice, get some good quality halogen bulbs. Your eyes will thank you, and once you realize that all that extra light the HID retrofit produces isn't actually helping you see, you will wonder how you ever saw without those halogens. Either that, or do a bi-xenon projector retrofit.

But on my friends Explorer, it does look the same. Do you think its because he had 32 inch tires and a body lift and I dont have that much of a lift? Also, he thought that it might also because his lens (not the bulb) may be a bit older and worn out so it distills the light more.

the hex adjuster is a 5.5 mm socket

I had to replace headlights/marker/parking and grill on my 99 Explorer after a deer tried to leap over my vehicle. I found that the adjuster was less than 4.5mm so I put masking tape around it and jammed the socket on which worked.

I appreciate it !

Back