How do you remove light scratches on rear bumper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you remove light scratches on rear bumper

RT3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
I just recently purchased a new 2017 Explorer XLT. The black bumper has some light white scratches on it. They do not penetrate into the bumper. I noticed a few other models on the lot had similar scratches. The dealer is going to fix them supposedly, but I wanted to know if you guys have used any particular products that can remove these light scratches so that I can avoid having them do anything worse possibly, and so I know in case I cause them myself in the future. Any advise is appreciate. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would much rather pay a professional detailing shop, than having Ford tackle it.
If it's on the clear coat, it can be buffed off.

I agree with 613GT500. Let the dealership tackle it first. I've had good results using Nu Finish Scratch Doctor.

Peter

Thanks guys, but I should have been more clear about where on the bumper the scratches are. They are on the lower black plastic bumper (not the painted area). They are light white in color and won't wash off.

I just recently purchased a new 2017 Explorer XLT. The black bumper has some light white scratches on it. They do not penetrate into the bumper. I noticed a few other models on the lot had similar scratches. The dealer is going to fix them supposedly, but I wanted to know if you guys have used any particular products that can remove these light scratches so that I can avoid having them do anything worse possibly, and so I know in case I cause them myself in the future. Any advise is appreciate. Thank you.

I've had excellent results with Meguiars ultimate black on the plastic bumpers if that's what you're seeing the scratches on. But I agree with others that the dealership should make good on fixing it seeing that it's a new vehicle.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll guess I'll try letting the dealership fix the bumpers for now and get the products later if I get new scratches. I just hope the dealer doesn't make it worse. lol

For what it's worth, I had a small (5mm) but quite noticeable defect in the paint on my '16, dealer's in-house body shop fixed it perfectly, never would know it was there.

you can apply a specific sealant over them meant for bare plastic but may have to re apply often, once you do this is makes it harder for any paint to stick. If its really bad they can paint the plastic in a flat black or satin paint. Over time I'm sure the plastic will fade and turn white and chalky like all the other vehicles with bare plastic bodies have, I would rather have mine painted.

Back