• Register Today It's free!

How do you turn off AWD?

hannibaljonczyk

Reaction score
City, State
ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer 5.0
I have just bought a 97 explorer, 5.0 litre, awd, my question is....... Is there a way to turn off the awd???? There is no selector switch anywhere that I can find. Can anyone help me with this? Is changing the t-case my only option??? I would like to convert it, but dont want to sink a whole lot of money into the truck, not sure how long i will keep it for. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is indeed a full-time AWD, non selectable, with the V8 package. Only way to change it is major surgery...

Switching to a selectable manual t-case is the only option for turning off awd.

Ditto. It's a full time system. There is no off switch.

Here is your joy.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=4406

One thing to check for on yours first would be any wires at all going into your awd transfer case. If you do have these wires, your speed sensor is in the transfer case and you will need to make accomodations for this. If you have no wires in your present t case, you are good for a straight bolt in swap.

This is by far the best mod I did to my truck

well ok, 2nd best.

There Is an easy way to disengage AWD

Alright heres the deal this trick will definitely disengage AWD and will turn your truck into a FR. This will boost acceleration, gas mileage, among other things. All you have to do is take out the short bar from the back of the transmission between it and the x-fer case. This will eliminate AWD. BUT you must use the E-Brake on inclined surfaces from here on out as the "park pawl" will not be as strong w/o the bar.

Back