How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

Mine is 98 4.0 SOHC 220K now. It had topical rattling noise from timing chains. Replaced both oil tensioners Ford OEM and that helped destroying the cassettes, more noise. The reverse band broke (other common issue) so I removed it it and s
I tried the tensioners, was too late for mine, still found chunks of 'em in the oil and it steadily sounded worse and worse. So I called it before I completely broke her and now been trying to sell her to a good home, with hopes to get her back someday. Though no ones taken her yet. Glad yours went decently well though and is still kicking!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried the tensioners, was too late for mine, still found chunks of 'em in the oil and it steadily sounded worse and worse. So I called it before I completely broke her and now been trying to sell her to a good home, with hopes to get her back someday. Though no ones taken her yet. Glad yours went decently well though and is still kicking!
Thanks! Except for the transmission job I did all the rest myself. The timing job is a PITA! Thanks to YouTube videos from a kid experienced in 4.0 SOHC engines helped me a lot. His YouTube channel is Platinum Garage.

Thanks! Except for the transmission job I did all the rest myself. The timing job is a PITA! Thanks to YouTube videos from a kid experienced in 4.0 SOHC engines helped me a lot. His YouTube channel is Platinum Garage.
His video on the temporary repair helped me fix my broken rear guide

Yeah, I saw 'em too, but I ain't got the place or time to try and pull the engine to work on it, which is where I face my problem. I do everything myself, but the cost to have a place do it was almost as much as I got my '95 C1500 for, which has more power and much more aftermarket compared to the X, even for a 2wd. But I do want to do the X again once I have a place in the future, so many plans: sas, soa, 40s, even something crazy like a 5.7l V8 + 4l60e swap for a crap ton of power (I'm partial to the 350 since that's what's in my current truck and I'm loving it, burns rubber so easy even on this truck, imagine a lighter weight truck like the X!) Many plans, many, too many lol

Approaching 275k on the Expo, runs like a top. See no reason it won't hit 325-350k.

276k on mine and it still runs great

My 4.0 ohv right around 177,000 ...still a baby for this engine....no internal engine work done / needed...

Thought I'd add mileage of other Blue Ovals in my garage,

Ranger 244k, still original starter/water pump/alt. Heads/oil pan never been pulled

Mustang 303k, killed original 5.0 at 287k via bent valve on #2 cyl. Currently running a 98' Expo long block with Mustang HO cam

Ranger has the 3.0 flex fuel w/a 5spd.

Back