• Register Today It's free!

How "normal" are two problems?

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsford NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I have a 99 Sport that I got 2 weeks ago.

1) Neither an original key nor a dupe I made will open any of the locks. They both start the ignition just fine. I have always heard that the doors were wafer and the ignition was pins, so poorly cut keys will often open the doors, but not start the ignition; but this just the opposite.

Between the keyless entry and the keyfobs it is not a big deal (unless the battery dies...), but it is wierd. Any explanation?

2) After sitting out all night (down to 10F) it stalls repeatedly unless I keep goosing it with gas for about a minute. Doesn't seem so outrageous to me, since the engine has 92,000 on it; but my mechanic says it is wrong and wants to fix it.
Is this something that can (should?) be fixed, or is it normal for an old cold engine?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1 - My bet would be the ignition was changed. You said the dupe key starts it up? Unless you had the dupe key coded for the PATS (antitheft), it shouldn't work. Does the Theft light blink when the engine is shut off?

2- That is not normal. Which engine does it have? If it's the SOHC, do you know if the 00M12 and 01M01 owner notification program work was done? The programs extended the warranty on the intake manifold o-rings (cause of rough cold idle) and the timing chain cassettes and cam tensioners. Another possible cause would be a dirty / malfunctioning IAC valve. If you search for the items I'm mentioning, you will find lots of very detailed posts about them.

2) not normal
Not sure what the issue is but I suggest a quick search on this forum to get you r started.
Does the door key go into the door and turn or it will not turn?
It is possible your ignition key is not the same as the door key

for opening the doors try another lock besides the drivers one. My drivers side door does not open with the lock when the key is insterted. It is not worth it to fix because i also have the key pad and the remote.

I am only able to open my driver's door after playing with the key for a while. All of my keys start the truck fine. I'm thinking because everyone uses the keyless, the door lock freeze up. Give it some WD therapy and see what happens.

My passenger side door was the same as Todd's when I bought the Explorer. A squirt of WD-40 and gentle key wiggling freed it up. I figured it had never been opened with a key since it left the factory.

WD-40 is not the best lubricant, in fact it dries up and gets sticky :)

#1...see all the responses above. I'd try a dry graphite lubricant in the doorlocks or something like PB Blaster instead of WD-40. As mentioned above, WD-40 can and will gunk up the works long term.

#2...that sounds like and IAC problem. The IAC acts like a choke does on carbureted motors. If it's malfunctioning or dirty, the truck will not want to start properly and will have problems idling, especially when cold.

Wade Lippman said:
I have a 99 Sport that I got 2 weeks ago.

1) Neither an original key nor a dupe I made will open any of the locks. They both start the ignition just fine. I have always heard that the doors were wafer and the ignition was pins, so poorly cut keys will often open the doors, but not start the ignition; but this just the opposite.

Between the keyless entry and the keyfobs it is not a big deal (unless the battery dies...), but it is wierd. Any explanation?

2) After sitting out all night (down to 10F) it stalls repeatedly unless I keep goosing it with gas for about a minute. Doesn't seem so outrageous to me, since the engine has 92,000 on it; but my mechanic says it is wrong and wants to fix it.
Is this something that can (should?) be fixed, or is it normal for an old cold engine?

Thanks
the cold running problem is problem the are intake manifold o rings. They typically have to be replaced after 60-70k miles. had the same prob when I bought my 99 awhile back and the orings took care if it.

I'm surprised to see that so many others are having lock probs. On my driver door, I can lock it with the key but can unlock it. Found I have a broken spring in the handle mechanism.

Back