• Register Today It's free!

How often should you?

Maverick265

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
I currently have a maintenance nightmare and a project Explorer. Its not my daily driver but how many miles should I put on it to keep it running.

If it sitting for a long time ie few months I would start it once every couple weeks till its at operating temp if unable to move. If you can still drive it just take it around the block a few times. You just want to make sure the seals don't get dry. But if it sitting for a short time I wouldn't worry about it.

Yea I am one who likes to turn each vehicle on as least once a week, at most every two weeks. If you can let her run for about 15 minutes then take her on a drive to the local liquor store or just a few times around the block, that would help prevent her from becoming bitter and a b*t*h:)

Crazymind nailed it on the head!

You want to make sure everythings moves fluidly so going over speed bumps or curbs will help (in a safe manner lol) that way all the bushings don't dry out or seize and crack, All the fluids flush around...all those little quirks. Like a mini drive

I have seen what happens to cars that don't get driven , It is not pretty, be sure to do a drive at least once a week, but you can stretch it to maybe 2 weeks if need be, any longer and you run the risk of problems. Rubber bushings and seals seem to be the first to go, then fluids, then the parts them self's. At my School we take a day every 2 weeks to take all of the 20 cars in the lot and run them around campus, it makes it easier on us because the batterys are good, the tires are full, and the fluids get circulated through the car.

Back