How To: 4.0L OHV MAF upgrade.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: 4.0L OHV MAF upgrade....

I've been busy with a few projects.....

I finally installed my Custom Hood <---Link to the thread here on EF

I finally installed the Intake Spacer (another link) I have had on the shelf for months

But now I have upgraded my MAF too....I bought a 5.0L X MAF off ebay for $15.00

Here is what I got:

Here is what I did to it:

First things first....take the MAF electronics off the body

I started by looking at the small plate off the back of the MAF...I can only think this was designed to created a little turbulance, slowing the air down a little around the sensor to get a good reading......I removed it.

One that little plate was gone, It was time to get rid of that whole pillar in the middle of the MAF. Get a good hacksaw, take off the blade insert the blade into the MAF body, and re-attach the blade to the saw....saw away at the pillar

Now you are almost done....

There is a little bit left on the bottom that SHOULD be removed if you have the ability. I used my airpowered die grinder.

It literally took me all of 5 minutes to get to this point from when I first walked into my shop with the part in the box.

Just for comparison sake, here is the stock 4.0L MAF opening compared to the 5.0L MAF:

I can telll a difference with this MAF..... I love it....

I have a few other projects that I am working of for the X.......stay TUNED...(no pun intended)...

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's someone I haven't heard of in a while. It's about damn time somebody did an actual write up about this. Good job man, this will help a LOT of people... 5 star rating!!

This should definitely become a sticky for the First Generation Forum. The Cold Air intake, the flowmaster installation, and this writeup are probably the 3 most "wanted/needed" for us.

Again, good job Ryan.

Please don't think I am a naysayer but do you actually understand what the MAF meter does in a Ford vehicle? It commands all fueling,spark,load,trans shift schedules (on newer vehicles) and shift firmness (on new vehicles). I would be willing to be if you actually put your truck on a dyno that the vehicle lost hp and torque due to it being lean.. Furthermore the unit was engineered with the tonsil integrated into the body to reduce turbulance and reversion. I would like to see the MAF voltage (which would probably be all over the place). I could go into this even further but you get the idea. As far as a sticky. I wouldn't recommend it.-j

This is a 1992( i.e. OBD1, Manual Trans X) the MAF does quite a bit..but not as much on a car this old..

Well, I have a dyno sheet from it's previous set-up, but won't get it dyno'd again until after I have done a few other things that will change the hp/tq numbers greatly....This mod on a totally bone stock X isn't something I would recommend....but on a modded motor like mine, I could tell a difference..

I think after I get done with all my mods, I'll throw the 4.0 MAF on there, and have it dyno'd...then do it again with this 5.0L...and I'm fairly positive it will make a slight difference in my favor with the 5.0 MAF on there..

Ryan

The MAF conversion is mentioned in the First Generation forum under "How to build your own custom cold air intake" or something like that. A lot of people have done the conversion with positive results. Myself included. I'm pretty sure if that many people have done it and gotten good results, it's worth it...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160528&page=2

around post 26 - 29 i want to say is where the discussion comes up..

I custom tune EEC-iv vehicles all the time, actually 7 in the last 2 weeks. This mod will definately need a custom tune especially with a modded engine thus making it even leaner further supporting the necessity for a chip in that application. The laws of physics are still in effect. MAF turbulance isn't filtered just because it is EEC-iv. Hogging out or removing necessary components in a MAF meter is not recommended. Although EEC-iv isn't as dependent on the meter as EEC-V it still determines load,fueling and spark. Enough parameters are controlled to waste an engine. Especially if you don't have any logging to support that the modification is safe.-j

how do you tune our engines? i was under the impression they couldn't accept a chip or something other. so it is possible? link to site if possible?

(speaking about our first generation 4.0)

Josh....

Yes, tuning is totally possible on just about ANY vehicle...

Some just allow more tuning than others. OBDI/EEC-IV doesn't have as many tuning parameters as the OBDII/EEC-V....but there is some power to be gained by doing it...

I am getting another tune after I get some more work done...

Ryan

Josh....

Yes, tuning is totally possible on just about ANY vehicle...

Some just allow more tuning than others. OBDI/EEC-IV doesn't have as many tuning parameters as the OBDII/EEC-V....but there is some power to be gained by doing it...

I am getting another tune after I get some more work done...

Ryan

where would you recommend me looking? my real goal would be to have 2 tunes, 1 performance and 1 conservative. the performance, for well, performance. and one conservative to try and save fuel while just doing daily drives.

I don't think the ecu can switch back and forth without a whole new tune.

Then again horse power and efficiency aren't mutually exclusive. Both goals are
basicaly the same: make as much power out of a givin amount of fuel as possible.

Having Multiple tunes gets expensive....but not impossible

But once you have a Performance Tune (92/93 octane req'd)...you'll never go to the 'lame' tune....even going to the store for milk will be fun....

Ryan

So where do you get yours done? Or do you do them yourself? Is it a chip? I've seen bama chips and jet chips mentioned, but I'm at a loss as to what WILL work on the first generation.

also, i read in another thread about a man who does good port/polish work on intakes and throttlebodies, here's the thread if you're interested:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216133

I've all ready emailed him about getting my Intake Manifold (after TB) done. I figure if it doesn't work, oh well... but if it does!!!...

For tuning-
www.hensonperformance.com

James is a site vendor-:thumbsup: Check out his site.

I need to take a look into my BBK throttle body and see if there is anything to be done there--

You can tune a gen1 Explorer with a SCT chip. I have datalogging,etc. Unfortunately I have to be with the vehicle. It can be done. I also tune many Fox bodied Mustangs. If you are close to me I can tune you. If you would like to schedule time, just let me know. Chipping a Gen1 isn't impossible. :thumbsup:

would this maf mod be possible with the stock 4.0l ohv mass air flow sensor? as far as cutting out that pillar in the middle.i got a sct programmer from henson performance.so i can data log all the info.would it really help?

The stock maf doesn't have a bar. Just a narrow hole.

Maybe the later gens are different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock foxbody mustangs have 19lb/h injectors yes?

Same as the ex?

Back