How to: Auxilary/offroad lites | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Auxilary/offroad lites

...this is a compilation with pics of parts, and including links to the best info on how to install lights i have seen...if you take the time to read this and the following links, your answers to your lighting questions will be found...;)

Lighting FAQ's and ANSWERS
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28683

How to: Add secondary fuse panel
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202857

and this thread has a bunch of info too...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202044

..Post pics of your Lights...:D
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213524&highlight=lights

For clarification purpose's, these lights are to be wired up as:

4- 55 watt lights = 2 pairs...
1 pair = 2 - lights per 1 switch, and each pair on their own relay

...this is a pic of all that is needed for 4 lites = 2 sets
lites002jg4.jpg

...these lights were bought on sale at harbor freight for 7.50 a pair and they include 2 55 watt halogen lites with wiring and 1 switch...note the pack of 14' of convoluted tubing , 1/4" split seam flex guard underneath the light package...this was bought at fry's electronics for 2.29 a pack...
lites004wk9.jpg

...this is a pic of the contents of the lite pack and if you look you can see the inline fuse in the wire...
lites006zg4.jpg

...these are the very important relays and i got these at pep boy's for 4.99 each...
lites005bq0.jpg

...And I borrowed this basic schematic from Derocha...It . and other useful info can be found in the third link above..;)

18205Hella_Wiring_WEB.jpg

...btw, you can buy all kinds of different switches at most auto parts store's from 3.99 to 10.99...
...now as you read the above links they will tell you of wiring sizes, they also have wiring diagrams, and about any question you can think to ask, they've already answered...good luck and have fun...:D

...Basic High Amp Alternator info...

..If after adding a bunch of lights properly and or stereo equipment, (and your voltage is dipping down and/or your lights begin dimming), then your voltage regulator cannot keep up with the demand already, Your Alternator may be going south... A higher amp alt like a 160 amp will keep you running at idle as it spins more rpm's than the stock 95 or 130 amp alt( the 130 amp alternator's came stock on "Limited" models)...IIRC, your vehicle normally requires 80-85 amps before the addition of stereo's, lights, etc...

...I am at idle often with all my lights on and heater, stereo, etc. on our night runs...Before I swapped out my stock 95 amp alt I would loose charging when going downhill on long grades with just my normal lights on due to, to low of rpm's....Now I can have all my regulars lights, heater, stereo, 4- 55watt and one 100 watt rock lights, and 2-100 watt Pilots, cb, etc., running at the same time with no problem, even on long idles when someone breaks down on trail...

...Here are a couple pics of my stock 95 amp and my 160 amp alternator's
alt003fz9.jpg

alt002eb5.jpg

...There are some higher amp alt's out there with stock size pulley's and they too will let your lights dim while at idle...I found mine with the overdrive pulley on it and it resolves that problem...

...The upside is you have plenty of amperage all the time...:biggthump

...The down side is they do spin faster thus they will wear out quicker...Higher amp Alternators cost about $220 and up new...The cheapest I can find to have it rebuilt in my area is $120 with a 1 year warranty...Next best price was $170...

...If you do purchase a higher amp alternator that has the overdrive pulley (smaller) on it, your standard serpentine belt is 71"...When you go to the parts store there are 2 listings for the serpentine belt for the 91-94 X...One with one alternator = 71" standard, and one with 2 alternators = 68"...The one for the 2 alternator's 68", will fit perfect as the new replacement belt...I do not know the sizes for the second Gen X's though..:dunno:

...You should also upsize your Alternator wiring to handle the Higher Amp Alternator..;)

...I hope this will help...:biggthump:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Be sure to thank Dannyboy in that thread..

...There are so many great threads on here and the author's never get the praise they deserve..;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Lol, one more question and hopefully everything will be good from here. I found this link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02-FORD-EXPLORER-SPORT-TRAC-OEM-130-AMP-ALTERNATOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27ac9da082QQitemZ170399735938QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
and I was wondering if my 02 Sport has a 130A or a 95A alt stock in it. I've read that only the limited's have a 130A stock alt in it, and if that's the case, I may pick this thing up and get an OD pulley and shorter belt. Anyone know what kind of alt I have? My Haynes manual is only for Explorer's so no luck there :(

Just look at the pulley on the alt. I'd guess you have the 95. Also, you won't need a shorter belt to run one alternator to the other.

Actually, yeah, you're right, I could string both of them together right? I was thinking about replacing the stock if its smaller, but theres got to be a way to put both alt's in series, I've seen it done before. I'm heading to work now, but I'll check back later tonight to see if I can find how to do this. Thanks Danny.

hey guys,
ive got 4 100 watt fog lights on my safari rack and suddenly they just stopped working.
they worked about 2 weeks ago when we got an ice/snow storm here in oklahoma and today i wanted to use 2 of them and they wouldnt work. the lights are practically brand new, i got them in late december. i am going to a tech school for machining and i had the robotics and electronics class check out the relays, the fuses, and to see if any wires are split. and according to them its all fine. i even soldered all the wire connections. i completly stumped them and the teacher is even baffled. the only thing they said it could be is the wiring up to my roof, or the lights.
so my question is, could halogen bulbs go bad in the cold? because i park my car in my driveway (its too tall to fit in the garage).
and im thinking its the bulbs but they are brand new! any suggestions?
thanks

Is your switch getting power and is is sending that power to the relay? Does the relay click when you hit the switch? If so does the relay put power to the lights? If so than the problem is the ground.
You can find out all the answers using a test light.

yes to all. the relay is clicking (both of them) and i am getting about 12 volts coming out of the relay. ill check the ground. i grounded them to the safari rack, and i thought that should be enough. maybe ill run a wire from the rack to the body or somethin.
oh and i have a test light.
it looks like a sharp screw driver with a bulb in the clear handle and an alligator clip attached to a wire.

yupp, it was the ground. ended up just grounding it to the body.
thanks!

All right!! I love it when lights work. Glad you got them going.

A test light(Ihave the same kind as you) is one of the best/basic tools of elect/lighting.

Now you can teach the teacher. And no, halogen bulbs are not effected by cold weather.

Happy trails.....

All right!! I love it when lights work. Glad you got them going.

A test light(Ihave the same kind as you) is one of the best/basic tools of elect/lighting.

Now you can teach the teacher.
And no, halogen bulbs are not effected by cold weather.

your correct. when i first asked the teacher for a test light he just grabbed a multi purpose voltage/amp/everything else tester. i asked for a test light and he just said he didnt have one...:scratch:
i mean, what kind of agood shop doesnt have one?!

Probably a good shop teacher but not everyone is concerned with automotive 12 volt stuff. The good ones always like to learn themselves.

...Thanks for adding that info...:D

...I'm not sure if it's in this thread or not but Maniak is running florescent lights as rock lights..

yea i loved it when i had the blues cause they were very bright at night and i used them alot but i had them mounted in a bad spot so the trail claimed the right side light =[

im working on putting the same exact lights on my bicycle with an extra car battery i have lying around. but for my switch would i just connect it to bat +?

im working on putting the same exact lights on my bicycle with an extra car battery i have lying around. but for my switch would i just connect it to bat +?

Using the diagram in the first post as a reference, you can wire it this way (might be easier this way on a bicycle):

posts # 30 and 87 would remain the same.
wire a jumper wire from post #30 to post #85 (will power both sides of relay).
Run a wire from post #86 to a switch. from the switch run a wire to the negative side of the battery (ground).

When you flip the switch, you will complete the circuit needed to operate the relay.

Repost of pic from post #1

Using the diagram in the first post as a reference, you can wire it this way (might be easier this way on a bicycle):

posts # 30 and 87 would remain the same.
wire a jumper wire from post #30 to post #85 (will power both sides of relay).
Run a wire from post #86 to a switch. from the switch run a wire to the negative side of the battery (ground).

When you flip the switch, you will complete the circuit needed to operate the relay.

Repost of pic from post #1

got it. thanks

taboo199

not sure if this is the right thread but im looking to put lights in the circled area and wasnt sure if anyone had done it before...a reply with what lights you used and how you did it would be great thanks in advanced

taboo199

not sure if this is the right thread but im looking to put lights in the circled area and wasnt sure if anyone had done it before...a reply with what lights you used and how you did it would be great thanks in advanced

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Your picture isn't showing up because it is in a private album on photobucket.

try this again

brush-guards-1999-2001-ford-explorer-front.jpg

Back