Alright all you fiberglass experts, "fill" me in! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alright all you fiberglass experts, "fill" me in!

Ok, first off, i have searched about every thread with the word fiberglass, and i cant find what i need. Now, i need to know what all is involved in working with fiberglass. If there is a book 'Fiberglass for dummies', tell me where to find it. I want to know where to get it, what kind is best, ways to work with it, how to use it, best ways to do it, ect. I have some ideas involving body work and interior modifications, and i have read that glass is the best thing to use. so, ya, i would appreciate it gladly if all of you that know what your doin can help me out. im planing on getting my income tax return soon, so i want to get to know what to do on some things. again, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go to a local paint shop(not body shop..a place that sell's paint to the body shop) and they should have a book on how to use f-glass..that's what i did..

I know there is a how to work with fiberglass book at the Barnes & Noble by my house but I do not remember the name of it. I saw it in the Automotive section. I will go over there tomorrow and look up the name of the book for you and then you can go from there.

let us know where you get the book and the name of it... I know there are a lot of us out there that want to know how to use fiberglass.

Here is the title for on of the books.
Fiberglass & Composite Materials
By: Forbes Aird
ISBN # 1-55788-239-8
Publisher: HP Books
I found this book at the Barnes & Noble bookstore.
There is still one more book but I have not found out the name of that one yet.

Originally posted by hydroxy
let us know where you get the book and the name of it... I know there are a lot of us out there that want to know how to use fiberglass.

I am one of them :D

Before I order the book - IS fiberglass hard to work with? you have to buy any expensive tools?

Fiberglass is easy. It is just tedious. All cheap sanding blocks, ect. for tools. I redid a snowmobile hood(took at least 45 hours) but looks brand new. Prob cost 50 in materials tops, and I wasted a lot.

Ditto

Exactly what Mbrooks420 said. Tedious, takes patience, and there is a slight learning curve, but overall easy. An audio store guy thought my first fiberglass mid bass pods (in my doors currently) were professionally done.
BTW, I used a ton of play-doh to build my internal skeleton frame, not some balsa wood / cloth structure. Just an idea that I thought of that worked.... The play-doh just peeled out once the fiberglass was dry. I've give instructions on this site, most likely in the audio section. Check my old posts.
Karl

Just play around with it and see what it does! That's how I learned.

One thing I learn from working with fiberglass is that you gotta have patience... lots of it. You gotta love doing it or its not gonna come out right. At least not the way you pictured it in your mind.

well, the reason i started this post is because i wanted to do at least three things with fiberglass. One was to make a custom stealth box, like one made out of MDf, i forget who did. I thought maybe somehow pour the fiberglass unto the wheelwell and flooring somehow (ive read somewhere you put down tin foil first) for the bottom support, and go from there. 2nd, i wanted to fill in the center crack on the outside mirrors so they are smooth. didnt know if i should use fiberglass resin, or bondo. 3rd, and maybe the hardest, i wanted to customize the interior a little bit. I want to do the same concept as hartman (i believe its hartman, how redid his radio opening), but go for a viper center dash. Make all new gauges in the center of the console and relocate the 4x4 switch, and the radio somewhere else. ive beem drawing ideas for the dash on paint, but their crude. anyway, i just wanted to know the ins and outs of fiberglass, what to use, tools, techniques, ect. but ill loof for that book mentioned above.. thanks for replying guys, im interested in where this thread goes.

I always post this site

But I'm not sure anyone ever really goes here:
How to build a custom fiberglass stealth box

Also, V8BoatBuilder has a thread on his custom box. It's MDF though:
V8BoatBuilder's Thread

Also, here are my aforementioned fiberglass mid-bass pods. (first time)
3661passenger_side_kickpanel.jpg

Check out that book. I read one for a few minutes and it just kinda made sense.
If this board will do anything, it will give you the confidence (arrogance and stupidity sometimes) that you can do anything!
Good luck,
Karl

Ok, here is something i drew up real quick on ms paint. i think the hardest part would be the gauge wiring. but i would really love to try and do something like this:

Attachments

• wd105.gif
    wd105.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 366

Back