How to: Find Permanent Keypad Code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Find Permanent Keypad Code

ngarwood

Reaction score
City, State
Mercer Island, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
I just bought a used '97 Eddie Bauer. I was very excited, and became even more so after finding this site. However, I am now slightly less excited after learning that the '95+ Explorers can't be raised, yet wholly elated nevertheless.

My Explorer came sans-Owners-Guide. The Ford website has all documentation online in PDF format. However, I became understandably annoyed after reading that the Explorers come pre-programmed with a permanent, factory-set code for the driver's door keypad. Due to the lack of any "Owners Card," it is impossible for me to know this code.

Is there any way to erase/ascertain this permanent code without the documentation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes your in luck!

Well sort of, you can find out the code by reading the numbers off the (I want to say GEM Module) located under the plastic just foward of the jack compartment. you have to use a flashlight, to see this number.

You can NOT change the code, unless you change the GEM Module.

another way to go is to just call ford with your VIN number and im sure they can find it out for you, but try the other way first, it seems easier. besides, ford is never fun to deal with.

With the trucks number, you can change the code to one of your choice.

yea, your factory code can be found in the back panel, the one that opens up. Its by that computer thing.. I had the same problem when i got my car. As far as i remember, there is a factory code that ALWAYS works on your car, its like the default code. You can use that to change it to something you want, but as far as I was told you can always use the factory one too.. To find the code you have to use a flashlight and have really good eyes..its a pain to see..

with the Permanent Factory Keypad Code, you can add and delete your Personal codes(I think you ca have 3 codes along with the Factory one) but there is NO way to get rid of or delete the Permanent Factory Keypad Code.

Originally posted by tbomb
another way to go is to just call ford with your VIN number and im sure they can find it out for you, but try the other way first, it seems easier. besides, ford is never fun to deal with.

They WILL NOT give this info to you, although I know they have it in their database. They refer you to the dealer.

if you call..they will tell you where to look for it in your truck..

Re: Permanent Keypad Code

Originally posted by ngarwood
I am now slightly less excited after learning that the '95+ Explorers can't be raised

THEY CAN'T!? Nobody told me that.
Who told you that? Click on "Ray's truck" in my siganture.
Oh! and welcome to the site

Found it!

Thanks guys. I had a little bit of trouble at first, notably because I was looking in the front of the truck. When I read "back panel", "jack", and "computer thing", I thought you were referring to the ODB port in front. I also found my Owner's Guide, it was jammed in behind the rear panel too.

-- Nick

Re: Yes your in luck!

Originally posted by CBoug76
Well sort of, you can find out the code by reading the numbers off the (I want to say GEM Module) located under the plastic just foward of the jack compartment. you have to use a flashlight, to see this number.

You can NOT change the code, unless you change the GEM Module.

That last part may not be exactly true. Check this out:

http://webpages.cwia.com/~bdklein/sho.htm

As it says, this was done on a SHO, but can probably be done on any Ford with keyless entry.

Thanks

Thankyou for the help. I have a 97 XLT that I bought in March and it was missing the code card. I asked my Ford dealer how I could figure out the code and they told me it would be $100 for them to tell me what it was. I figured I could live w/o the keypad and stumbled across this thread. You saved me 100 bucks, thanks.

98 Keyless

My manual stated the code was on the computer module.
My question is, where the heck is the computer module?
If its the module that is down by the passengers right foot, well, that one is bolted down and I dont see any numbers on it, I guess I'll have to unbolt it and see if the numbers are there.

Thanks
Guy Duke
98 XLT Explorer

On my '99, its in the drivers side rear compartment.

Good luck.

Rear compartment?

Like in where the jack is?
I'll have to take a look.
Guy

I figured I could live w/o the keypad
Take advantage of the keypad, 90% of the time, I leave my keys in the truck and just lock it up on the way out. I leave the keys in, even with the windows down, remember that if someone reaches in and unlocks door, the alarm goes off.

Originally posted by morrisey0

Take advantage of the keypad, 90% of the time, I leave my keys in the truck and just lock it up on the way out. I leave the keys in, even with the windows down, remember that if someone reaches in and unlocks door, the alarm goes off.

Until that one time when your battery goes dead and you can see your keys but cannot get to them cause the locks won't pop...

Thanks guys for the info, was gonna make a post about this myself.

Saved me some time and already gave me some info to help out ;)

i can't live w/out the keypad, but just to be safe, make spare keys and leave one at your house or girlfriend's or somethin, just in case the battery does die or somethin happens to the pad. also, i had the same prob and i called ford to find out where the computer module was and from there it was easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had this same problem too first the dealer told me to go and look in the jack compartment then thye told me to call ford (which i found out after being on hold for an hour they cannot give out that information. finally i gave up and had the dealer just hook the machine up to it and read it. mine only cost $35.00 so if they try to charge you too much more i would try somewhere else. also you might want to try the inner part of the hatch area i was told they sometimes put it there if it is not in the jack compartment. hope this helps in any ways it can.

Back