How to: Install Fuel Tank Skid Plate | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Fuel Tank Skid Plate

Hmm, I never had any left over bolts. Which ones are they?

I'll take a pic later. Basically what I got was 3 sets of 4 bolts. 2 of the sets were the same bolts but one set had washers attached to them. The other set of bolts (the ones I said were extra) seemed to be slightly smaller than the others and had washers attached to them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine installed today, still waiting for the transfer case skid plate.
IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Same place, but I had to enter in all the part numbers (using the search by part number) to get them to come up, so you want to look for:

1L2Z9A235AA - Bracket, qty (1)
W706894S439 - Bolt with washer, qty (4) - these are for the transfer case skidplate
W706496S301 - Bolt, qty (4) - these are for the gas tank skidplate
-N801118S436 - Nut-adjusting, qty (8) - these are those nut plate things that you see in the writeup. There are 4 for the transfer case skid plate and 4 for the gas tank skid plate. they are expensive but they are a lot easier than trying to hold nuts from spinning inside the frame holes.
-W710675S441 - Nut with washer, qty (2). These are the nuts that go onto the rear bracket and also onto the stud that is on the front tank strap. Turned out I didn't have the second stud on the front strap, so I ended up using a miscellanous nut bolt and washer. I followed Nate's list exactly and his said only (1), but if you have both studs on your front strap, then get 2 of them.

W503942S439 - Screw, qty (4). NOTE: I ordered these as they were on Nate's list but I don't see where they were needed....unless I am missing something. So I would say you don't need to order these.

I just want to say thanks to Ronin and Nate. Got both of my skids on, and feel better about taking off road.

Hey guys long time no see. Anyways I had my priorities messed up and after building my explorer from the ground up I never did skids... I just bought the gas tank and think that is great quality but im not sold on the the cheesy looking transfer case skid. If someone has a close up underneath or some sort of pics can you please share and also your opinion?

Thanks Guys!

any of you guys that ordered through fastpartsnetwork.com get charged more for shipping then originally quoted. where I bought mine they just emailed and said shipping will be 75 dollars more so i canceled. I may go with fastpartsnetwork.com if they keep gas tank skid and hardware under 300

any of you guys that ordered through fastpartsnetwork.com get charged more for shipping then originally quoted. where I bought mine they just emailed and said shipping will be 75 dollars more so i canceled. I may go with fastpartsnetwork.com if they keep gas tank skid and hardware under 300

Yes, that happened to me. You might also try wholesalefordparts.com. I just ordered a 4th gen skidplate from them and was quoted a little over 25 for shipping for everything. Now they might come back and tell me it'll be more, but either way I'll post here and let you know. But so far the total for my 4th Gen with all hardware and shipping came to about $260.

Yes, that happened to me. You might also try wholesalefordparts.com. I just ordered a 4th gen skidplate from them and was quoted a little over 25 for shipping for everything. Now they might come back and tell me it'll be more, but either way I'll post here and let you know. But so far the total for my 4th Gen with all hardware and shipping came to about $260.

Ok sweet, do you remember what it was with fastpartsnetwork on the 3rd gen? and did you have the transfer case skid?

How is the transfer case skid in ur opinion? Will it hold up to rocks you think? I am wondering if its worth the money for just build my own.

How is the transfer case skid in ur opinion? Will it hold up to rocks you think? I am wondering if its worth the money for just build my own.

Ask rangermidtn. He did some offroading last weekend and got high centered on a rock, I believe he said the transfer case skid plate bent a little, but held fine.

It seemed sturdy enough (it's made of metal) when I had my last truck...I never got to put it to the test though.

Ok so wholesalefordparts shipped it today, they did not charge any extra on shipping from what was quoted. So you guys might look at them.

Awesome thanks a lot! Just placed my order for both skids and hardware, it was 344 shipped to my door! Cant beat that!

Ask rangermidtn. He did some offroading last weekend and got high centered on a rock, I believe he said the transfer case skid plate bent a little, but held fine.

It seemed sturdy enough (it's made of metal) when I had my last truck...I never got to put it to the test though.

The transfer case skid is stronger than it looks, like Ronin said I high centered my explorer while wheeling last weekend, bent it a little but it protected the transfer case.

Ordered the plate and mounting fasteners....

Here's what I ordered from Lakeland Ford...

1 PLATE 1L2Z9A147AD $194.15
1 BRACKET 1L2Z9A235AA $20.55
4 BOLT W706496S301 $0.63
2 NUT AND WASHER ASY - W710675S441 $1.25
8 NUT - ADJUSTING SCREW N801118S436 $4.25
4 BOLT AND WASHER ASY - W706894S439 $0.63

Is the only OEM option for the 3rd Gen's a plastic fuel tank skid plate?

Its better than nothing, of course. But steel would suit me better.

Anyone got any pics of the explorer fuel tank and mounts, without (ie before) the skid plate was attached?

I can try to take some and post....

Between rain showers, what kind of detail do you need?

Between rain showers, what kind of detail do you need?

Pretty much I would like to see the standard mounts for the fuel tank please and where the brackets bolt up to. I have the positions for the skid tank, but am interested in the fuel tank mounts. Thanks in advance (and hope it stops raining soon)

Pretty much I would like to see the standard mounts for the fuel tank please and where the brackets bolt up to. I have the positions for the skid tank, but am interested in the fuel tank mounts. Thanks in advance (and hope it stops raining soon)

I'll get the pics this afternoon. I know Australia gets creative trying to conserve water, but we have been getting incredible amounts of rain, to the extent I am not using my rainwater capture system at all this summer, all the tote tanks are full.

Back