how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry

Would actually locking the door (assuming the rest are locked already) when it's open (as you are getting out) then closing it help you achieve your goal?

Mine will immediately unlock when the door closes if the key is in the vehicle. The only way I know to lock the key in the car is to press and hold the bottom 2 buttons on the keypad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm missing something here....

I want to be able to put the fob in the console and then lock the car and unlock it with the door keypad when I come back. It works fine on my 15 F150 but our 17 Explorer won't let the doors lock.

1. Leave fob in car.
2. Shut door unlocked
3. Press 7/8 and 9/0 buttons together on keypad

The red light comes on above the keypad but the doors don't lock. It's like the car won't let me lock keys in. I tried locking the doors and then closing the door and the doors all unlock.

What is the trick here? We have a 2017 Platinum....
It's very easy Mike. I believe there is a thread on it. You press 7*8 and 9*0 keys simultaneously on the Securicode key pad.

Peter

I just went out and played with it again. The F150 has buttons where the Explorer has more of a touchpad. I was pressing the touchpad as though it were buttons and I guess I wasn't holding them down long enough. I just tried it again holding down the buttons for 2 seconds and it locked. Sooo I was doing it right but just wasn't holding the buttons long enough....

Mine will immediately unlock when the door closes if the key is in the vehicle. The only way I know to lock the key in the car is to press and hold the bottom 2 buttons on the keypad.
You can also wrap the fob in aluminum foil (I've tested it) but that would only be practical if you want to leave an extra key in there. That makes it invisible to the vehicle.

Peter

I just had my credit card tap and go chips and transponder chip from my keys surgically implanted inside me, works great, its a must have :feedback:

My 2013 Limited had a problem where it would not recognize the fob signals. Took to Ford for 7 hours and they can't find the problem. I got tired of paying Ford for no solutions so I decided to get an Excalibur system put in at the local audio store to bypass old system. After 6 hours of messing with it he told me he can get the lock/unlock and hatch to work but the car won't remote start unless it's in acccessory mode, which is useless because you have to be in the car to be in accessory mode.

Anyways, since I have to have my Ford fob in the emergency slot to start it I was hoping I could leave it in the slot at all times and be able to not have to open the console every time I want to start my car. When I attempt to exit my vehicle and lock it, it auto unlocks because the fob is in the emergency slot.

I know they do this to ensure the car doesn't lock you out but I was hoping there was a way around that.

Any suggestions or tricks to fool the car so I don't have to mess with the emergency slot every time I want to lock/unlock and start my car.

Long story short, I don't care about autostart as much as being able to leave key in emergency slot and be able to unlock and lock with it left in there.

My 2013 Limited had a problem where it would not recognize the fob signals. Took to Ford for 7 hours and they can't find the problem. I got tired of paying Ford for no solutions so I decided to get an Excalibur system put in at the local audio store to bypass old system. After 6 hours of messing with it he told me he can get the lock/unlock and hatch to work but the car won't remote start unless it's in acccessory mode, which is useless because you have to be in the car to be in accessory mode.

Anyways, since I have to have my Ford fob in the emergency slot to start it I was hoping I could leave it in the slot at all times and be able to not have to open the console every time I want to start my car. When I attempt to exit my vehicle and lock it, it auto unlocks because the fob is in the emergency slot.

I know they do this to ensure the car doesn't lock you out but I was hoping there was a way around that.

Any suggestions or tricks to fool the car so I don't have to mess with the emergency slot every time I want to lock/unlock and start my car.

Long story short, I don't care about autostart as much as being able to leave key in emergency slot and be able to unlock and lock with it left in there.
A quick search using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature brought up this thread and yours has been merged with it.

Peter

Back