How to make a 3 inch intake for a 93 V6 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to make a 3 inch intake for a 93 V6 Explorer

Rx7freak08

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Red Exploder
I hope people will be interested in this idea as much as I did. I noticed that it was very hard to get an intake for the 93 v6 model of the explorer. So I had some time on my hands. Here is what I used

Spectre 90 degree elbow $10.99
Spectre intake (get at any autozone) $ 39.99
Spectre Cone Filter $ 15.99
3 Spectre Intake Coupler's $ 7.99 per (the intake kit comes with one)
Hose for the Oil filler tube $ 1.50
Maf Air intake adapter (got from O' reillys) $7.99
Insulation and Aluminium tape $ Free

This is what it turned out to be like.
IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

I had a few problem with this set up. I had to remove the bottom part of the intake box which is one. I also found out that it hits the alternator pulley and positive terminal. How I solved the pulley problem is by first using the brackets that the Intake kit gives you. I straightened them out and used them to push the intake away from the pulley. I mounted one on top of the alternator bolt and the other is where you bolt the engine cover up to the throttle body. The long one that is on top of the throttle body pushes the intake away and the other on the alternator holds it up. Now I haven't solved the terminal problem. The only thing I could do is make sure it isn't grounded anywhere. If you have any question feel free to ask. Thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks nice. I wish all those parts were available when I built mine.

About 10 years ago, I installed a cold air intake on my Ranger (virtually identical to your Explorer.) I used a K&N kit designed for a '95 Explorer. I got a duct from a '95 out of the junkyard, which positioned the filter right where your battery is. The Ranger battery is on the opposite side. I used a piece of 6" x 24" 3/16" steel bent in an open "C" shape to mount the filter/maf to the fender.

It works great. I have been thinking about building a heat shield around the filter - some thin aluminum should work.

Looks good. That Spectre stuff works pretty well. Here is mine I did this past winter on my 91, a little different and I use the KKM filter and adapter which I already had. My pic doesnt show my oil breather hose hooked up yet

Attachments

• m_finished.JPG
    m_finished.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 274
  • m_finished2.JPG
    m_finished2.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 269

Very neat atleast I'm not the only one.lol

I forgot to mention. I beat a 94 Chevy V6 Truck Extended Cab with an exhaust. I have beat him by a car.

I have the intake on my car
A shift kit with upgraded boost valve and manual indexer
and a new trans cooler.

Oh yeah my car is a eddie 4X4.

Back