How to: Making easy to remove floor plugs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Making easy to remove floor plugs.

OK I do not know if this is the right area for this but this is a thread on how to make easy to remove floor plugs. This will work on all the plugs i just decided to show you how to do it one of them. It is very simple to do and it folds down out of the way but here is what you will need...

Items needed
Boat plugs-(you need one for every plug they are only a dollar and you can find them at any Walmart).

Razor blade-(you only need one).

A washer-(smaller then what comes what the boat plugs you will only need one and you will only need that one if you choose to do the one i am doing).

A pair of pliers.

A screw driver or a ice pick or heck a awl works to.

Instructions

Step 1: get your boat plug it should look like this...
660zc3l.jpg

Step 2: look at the bottom of the boat lug there should be a metal thing (as in the picture below) then remove that thing with a pair of pliers its basically a bolt so just turn it to the left don't brake this you will need his latter on .
http://i13.tinypic.com/61wh211.jpg[/IMG[/LEFT]

[LEFT][B][U]Step 3:[/U][/B] Once the bolt is off slide all the pieces off.
[ATTACH=full]361965[/ATTACH][/LEFT]

[LEFT][B][U]Step 4:[/U][/B] Take the rubber thing from the boat plug and trim it down so it wont interfere with the floor plug going in and/or out of the hole also trim a little of the bottom to make up for the extra stuff added it should look some thing like this...
[ATTACH=full]361966[/ATTACH][/LEFT]

[LEFT][B][U]Step 5:[/U][/B] once the black rubber thing is cut down take a screw driver and force it through the center of the floor plug so it makes a nice clean whole.
[ATTACH=full]361967[/ATTACH][/LEFT]

[LEFT][B][U]Step 6:[/U][/B] Like i said earlier you will need a smaller washer to do the same one i am doing. All the other floor plugs you can use the washer from the boat plug but on this one you will need one that can fit in the divot that is in the floor plug. Once you have one put it on the bolt of the boat plug then push the bolt through the whole you made in the floor plug it should look some thing like this...
[ATTACH=full]361968[/ATTACH][/LEFT]

[LEFT][B][U]Step 7:[/U][/B] Now slip the black rubber thing you cut earlier then take the nut you took off in step two and screw it back on make shure its tight once put all back to gather it should look some thing like this...
[ATTACH=full]361969[/ATTACH][/LEFT]

[LEFT][B][U]Step 8:[/U][/B] now that you are done push the floor plug back i where ever you got it and fold it down when you don't need it
[ATTACH=full]361970[/ATTACH]
then when you do need it fold it up
[ATTACH=full]361971[/ATTACH]
and pop it right out.
[ATTACH=full]361972[/ATTACH][/LEFT]​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow--
That is actually a good tip. I am impressed
Thanks!

your welcome and thanks for the complement
I have this done for all of my floor plugs and it works great.

WOW! That looks awsome! Good job John!

Good job kiddo & great write up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thank you

Maybe I missed the reason in the write-up, but what's this for?

Back