How To: Pull Trouble Codes on a 1st Gen Explorer (paperclip method) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Pull Trouble Codes on a 1st Gen Explorer (paperclip method)

Thank you dooze.
I was just reading your sticky on radiator flushing and I think I am going to do it this weekend. Im not running hot, just doing it for good measure. I can't remember the last time it was done. I have a 93 with 212,000 on her and still running strong...well except the TP sensor. I don't think it's a big deal though, the CE light only comes on when I have the cruise control set and the car begins to coast downhill. Anyway good to know what TP stands for, I am going to start searching away.

Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No problem! After my ordeal with mine I'm very much an advocate of preventive maintenance on these cooling systems.... I would say you should NEVER let it go more then 5 years without a full and total flush!!!! It's not hard at all, just takes some time, if you do the whole thing it can take a bit, but if you have no problems yet then you should be able to skip some of the steps. Good luck!

What an awesome thread!:thumbsup: I'm getting two codes that I can't find a reference to:

KOEO--333

KOER--653

I'm going to make an educated guess and say that the first one is emissions related and the second is transmission related.

Nevermind the KOEO 333, it dawned on me that that's the engine ID code. Duh!

Nevermind the KOEO 333, it dawned on me that that's the engine ID code. Duh!

Actually, the engine id code is output at the start of the KOER test, not the KOEO test.

I can't find reference to a KOEO 333 or a KOER 653 either, so I'm guessing you need to repeat the test and make sure to count the flashes more carefully.

Yeah, I'll run the test again. Counting. Seems like such a simple thing...

This only worked for me after the engine ran, I was trying it cold with no luck. I didn't see that in the how to...

btw: 111-no fault koeo & dito cm, didn't do koer yet.

Well a 333 could be the 1 1 1 and 1 1 1 (it repeats 2x) but I don't know where you would get a 3rd 3. But I guess it COULD be 1 1 1 and 1 1 1 (for the KOEO codes) then the single seperator flash then 1 1 1 and 1 1 1 (for CM codes). You would get that if everything was fine and no stored codes.... *shrug* Just some thoughts...

@java Navajo What do you mean by Cold? Could you not get it to flash codes till it was warmed up? Of you couldn't get any codes but 111 to show when cold but you got more codes warm??? If the latter is the case that's what the KOER test is really for. The KOEO test it's just testing for general electrical faults and pulling MEMORY codes stored while running but that are not constant. I've also heard of people rerunning the test warmed up, because whatever problem they were having only happened warm, but to be honest that should show up in the CM codes of KOEO if the computer sees anything anyway....

ok what do i do if the check engine light is not working

i think the bulb is bad so now im tearing out the dash lol !!!
so much fun

@java Navajo What do you mean by Cold? Could you not get it to flash codes till it was warmed up? Of you couldn't get any codes but 111 to show when cold but you got more codes warm??? If the latter is the case that's what the KOER test is really for. The KOEO test it's just testing for general electrical faults and pulling MEMORY codes stored while running but that are not constant. I've also heard of people rerunning the test warmed up, because whatever problem they were having only happened warm, but to be honest that should show up in the CM codes of KOEO if the computer sees anything anyway....

When its cold it doesn't flash codes...

Yep- the truck needs to be at operating temperature per EEC testing instructions...

I also tried this but my check engine light doesn't do anything , just stays on like normal when the key is turned. My engine has problems but the engine light doesn't come on while it's running so does that mean it thinks it doesn't have any problems?

IF your CEL doesn't do anything when you have the key in the on position and you do the paperclip thing then you have it in the wrong spot since even no codes gives you 111.

Since its not on when the truck is running it doesn't see any current bad problems, but there are some things that set a code but don't turn on the CEL when running.

~Mark

Well I triple checked and it's in the right spot

so i thought i would pull some codes off the truck to see if anything would come up for the tranny and this is what i got. key on engine off, 539-system shows voltage at pcm pin 10 is A/C on?, 336- PFE sensor signal is/was high. with the engine running, 538- system did not receive "goose"test- TESTS, 536- brake on off open or shorted to ground.

Now im not sure what these mean any help on them would be great!!!

KOEO 539 means that the computer saw power at pin 10 which monitors the A/C on/off switch. Basically it means that the A/C (some systems automatically turn A/C on in defrost mode) was turned on, and the computer expects it to be off. Turn A/C off and repeat test.

KOER 538 is almost always operator error -- namely you neglected to perform the "goose" test when indicated. Review test instructions and repeat.

KOER 536 -- another operator error, usually meaning you forgot to press the brake after engine id was output. Again, review KOER test procedure and repeat.

KOEO 336 means that the PFE/DPFE sensor was out of range during the KOEO test. Because KOEO codes are set with the engine off, they are almost always electrical. Test DPFE sensor circuit.

thanks alot mrshorty. ill do as you instructed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KOEO 539 means that the computer saw power at pin 10 which monitors the A/C on/off switch. Basically it means that the A/C (some systems automatically turn A/C on in defrost mode) was turned on, and the computer expects it to be off. Turn A/C off and repeat test.

KOER 538 is almost always operator error -- namely you neglected to perform the "goose" test when indicated. Review test instructions and repeat.

KOER 536 -- another operator error, usually meaning you forgot to press the brake after engine id was output. Again, review KOER test procedure and repeat.

KOEO 336 means that the PFE/DPFE sensor was out of range during the KOEO test. Because KOEO codes are set with the engine off, they are almost always electrical. Test DPFE sensor circuit.

so i did as you said and the only code i got was the 336, how do i test the DPFE sensor circuit?

Back