How To: Pull Trouble Codes on a 1st Gen Explorer (paperclip method) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Pull Trouble Codes on a 1st Gen Explorer (paperclip method)

Good Morning Wade. I bought a code reader from Harbor Freight for about $75.00 to use on my other vehicles and have used it numerous times for others as well as myself. A good investment for the long term. The shops around here charge $25 and up to check a code for you. Hmmmm, wonder what it cost's to replace all of the O2 Sensors? Good Luck and Good Hunting

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don: Good morning. Yeah, I thought about that after I typed that (cost of three O2's will be more than cost of scanner) and was waiting for the bashing. From my Ford experience and this truck being a 96,,,I'm betting it's time for O2's anyhow.

Is it just me, or on the OPs how-to post there's no pictures showing up.

I'd like to give this a try but i have no clue what or where the connecters and what nots are located. I tried looking around under the hood today but didn't find anything i thought might be the right stuff.

codes

ok so i pulled the codes on mine and pulled a 116 which is coolant out of range im guessing from the bigger thermostat that replaced the stock one also it pulld what i think was a 439 but i cant find anywhere if or what that one is it also pulled a 341 which is the Octane adjust (service multiplug) grounded i have no idea what thats all about when i reset seemed to run right but i disconnected the battery before and i did the same thing guess we go on a ten mile test drive and see if it happens again.any suggestions as to what the issue at hand is???

Thanks for the write up but I'm having epic problems with 91 explorer, so much so that I'm ready to scrap it. I have a check engine light and despite following the instructions to the tee I can not get into the diagnostic mode for my life. I've tried 3 different types of jumpers and even took the connector apart and cleaned the connections and I still can't get the CEL to flash?

Please help!

Have you tried tracing the wires from the self-test connector to the PCM to make sure there are no breaks between the PCM and the self-test connector? have you tried jumpering STI and SIG RET at the PCM?

i have a 1993 EB 4.0 explorer, so i got the paperclip method down, do i do the KOER test with that still hooked up? or do i not do a KOER test, my CEL only comes on about 10 mins after driving

do i do the KOER test with that still hooked up?
Yes, you leave the jumper wire/paperclip in place to perform the KOER test.

or do i not do a KOER test,
Depends on where you are at in the diagnosis. I might suggest you do the KOER test just for practice. Standard procedure is to perform the KOEO test and resolve any KOEO codes. Then perform the KOER test and resolve any codes that come up during the KOER test. Finally, if there are any CM codes unresolved, work on those.

I pulled codes from our '94 today. KOEO: First code is 629, Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Fault. Second code is 176, O2 sensor not switching-system is or was lean-left or front HO2S. Within the past month, we replaced the transmission with one that was professionally rebuilt at a shop near us. I'm wondering if the 629 code could be stored from the previous tranny? Also, the cruise control diaphragm was NOT connected. While at a wrecking yard for some other parts, I noticed how the CC diaphragm was SUPPOSED to be connected. When I got home, I connected ours the way it was on the rigs in the wrecking yard. THEN the CEL came on. For the first couple minutes of driving, no light. If the CC diaphragm caused a vacuum leak, could that cause the computer to store the 176 code? My wife said that it did start 'differently', so i put the line to the CC diaphragm back the way it was. I tried pulling the jumper while the codes were being output, but the codes are still there. And of course, my tabs expire in a few days and I need to run emissions to get new ones. The x seems to run fine, no driveability problems, not sure of the mileage. I'm just curious to see if you experts have any other thoughts and/or options.

-Bender

I'm wondering if the 629 code could be stored from the previous tranny?
Only if it is a CM 629 (from the 2nd set of codes output after the separator pulse). KOEO codes (before the separator pulse) are hard faults that are not stored or remembered. If it is a CM code, you should be able to clear it by removing the jumper. If that doesn't clear the codes, that suggests that the faults are currently present.

Second code is 176, O2 sensor not switching-system is or was lean-left or front HO2S. Within the past month, we replaced the transmission
One thing to check for after replacing the transmission is to make sure the O2 sensor wires did not get pinched or cut in between the transmission and the engine.

Well as luck would have it, when they went for a power connection at the cig lighter, my wife told them the wires were melted and it didn't work. They had her turn off the truck and pop the hood to connect to the battery. When she started the truck, no light...while they were testing....which is how it has been ever since the light came on. Passed with flying colors.

As for the codes...if I'm getting 629 BEFORE the separator, then there is something has an issue AT THAT POINT. I'm gonna call the tranny shop that built the trans for that one. I'm gonna check the codes again tomorrow. She has a lot of driving to do (100 miles or so). My only concern at this point is that the 176 code was still there even after pulling the wire. I actually pulled the wire twice. The first time I pulled it after all codes were done. Ran the test again and 176 was still there. Pulled the wire the second time WHILE the code was blinking. Next test, still there. At that point I gave up and told her to go do emissions.

-Bender

Thank you Doonze, Joe Dirt & Mr Shorty,
Did my code check using the wire arc trick on my 93' Explorer, got the 159 MAF, replaced it and went from a horrific spit and sputter back to pretty smooth running for a 287k orig engine. Had the old girl for 20 yrs! THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

So here is my problem. I have a 91 XLT and my cel is always on (when running, in the on and acc position.) I tried the paper clip method last week to diagnose and had no luck. It doesn't pull any codes. A couple relays click and that is as far as it will go. I went to autozone and picked up an OBD-I reader and followed the directions to the T and still it does nothing. A couple relays click buzz and whirr and that is as far as it goes. What's the deal here? I know the harness has to be alright or it wouldn't enter test mode so what could be the malfunction?

Since I no longer have my Explorer, can someone verify that the CEL is supposed to come on in the ACC position? I thought the CEL stayed off in ACC. I guess my first thought is to check for faults in the CEL circuit.

Just came back to this thread, thank you guy's for the tutorial I will have to try that as the CEL came on the other day then went off..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where do find the list of trouble codes.

Back