How TO: Resealing First Gen Flip Up Sunroof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How TO: Resealing First Gen Flip Up Sunroof

redneckin

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Mazda Navajo 4x4
ok, i have been battling this problem with my '94 Navajo and i have finally fixed this issue. this is a how to on resealing the flip up style sunroof.

Approx. Time: 1 to 2 hours

Tools Required:
-standard putty knife
-philips screwdriver
-torx female sockets
-1/4 inch drive ratchet
-sandpaper
-adhesive
-caulk gun (depending on adhesive)

Step 1: Removing the glass.

most people think of glass handling as a very complicated area and are affraid of it. removing the flip up glass in a first gen is super simple and very light, anyone can do it. wind the sunroof all the way to its most upward position. there should be a red button. all you do is push it and the sunroof comes all the way up. dont have a pic for this step because its super simple. pull the glass out of the two front clips and set it aside.

Step 2: Removing the inner weatherstripping.

no picture for this one either, all you do is grab the weather stripping where its cut in the middle and give it a tug. it comes out extremely simple and just toss is aside with the glass.

Step 3: Getting ready for frame removal.

this is probably one of the most time consuming part of the resealing process. you have to scrape the outside of the frame on the roof with your standard putty knife, to loosen up the stubborn old adhesive holding the frame in. if you have a $9,000 paint job, you're gonna need some touch up paint or a redo of a small section that got scratched. be careful with the frame, its probably gonna be extremely fragile for being over 15 years old, and can break extremely easy.

004-1.jpg

Step 4: Frame Removal.

once you get all the old adhesive loosen up, its time to remove the frame. this step is easier to do if you pull the headliner, but i opted out of this step as time and daylight were getting smaller. underneath the headliner on the inside of the vehicle there are (4) strips of metal holding the frame to the roof of your first gen. some female style torx sockets and a 1/4 inch drive ratched would be the tools needed. loosen all the screw, but dont take them all the way out, the metal strips slide out of the screws. once you've done that, you can take the (4) drain tubes out of the frame. after the drain tubes are disconnected (also be careful, those are fragile too!), take the flip up knob off with a philips screwdriver and remove the trim piece. you can now successfully pull the frame, which should come out pretty easy.

013.jpg

006-1.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

Step 5: Cleaning the frame.

once the frame is out, clean it up rear good, with a piece of sandpaper or lightly grind it with a wire wheel. we used the wire wheel.

014.jpg

015.jpg

Step 6: Frame installation.

the frame is clean and you are now ready to reinstall. prior to installation of the frame, you have choices in what you can use to seal the frame back in. you can use any type of household caulking, adhesive, etc. i used some clean silicone adhesive on mine with a foam padding underneath in between the frame and the roof. ahesive goes on the padding and on the roof. place the frame on the roof where it goes and connect all the drain tubes. once all the drain tubes are connected, start tightening down the metal retainers and getting the frame of the sunroof into position. after the frame is all snug, you can reinstall the weather stripping, handle trim and knob for the flip up mechanism. reinstall the glass with care, tighten all the way into the down position and let it sit overnight, or however long the adhesive you chose takes to cure. enjoy your sunroof, and stay dry on rainy days.

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Thanks,
Eric

Nice to not have water coming in. I just resealed my sunroof ('93 XLT) a few weeks ago. I found the the powdercoat on the sunroof frame had been coming off and allowing water to get it between the sealant and the frame. The aluminum frame was oxidizing and popping the coating off.

Silicone will work fine but it is a bit messy, I used butyl tape (3/8 width) and after cleaning up the frame and shooting some black paint on it applied it to the frame. You use a plastic razor blade to trim off the excess and it leaves a nice clean install. We used the same stuff when installing aftermarket sunroofs back in the day.

I wasn't sure if it was the sunroof leaking so I pulled the headliner to see where the water had been running. However, I feel pretty comfortable saying that your sunroof and mine are likely not the only two that the powdercoat has come off causing this problem...

Excellent write-up Eric, should be a sticky for those that have this same issue.

Wood.

oh im definantly sure that these arent the only ones. hopefully people could use this information. not a hard process to do, but its appreciated when other people appreciate a write-up.

Good to have people like you willing to help. Thanks for the info.

Back