• Register Today It's free!

Sunroof Issues

zshaver05

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
Ok guys I bought this 92 explorer and someone has put an aftermarket sunroof in it from who knows when. Well it leaked and the headliner was all moldy and gross. So I tore it all out bought a factory headliner and covered it with tweed... I got to looking at the sunroof and where the glass meets the roof in the back it looks like someone has cut big gaps into the molding... I can stick my pinky through it... what should i use to fix it..? I tried using silicone but to make it so it wont leak the sunroof struggles to open and close... and im in washington and the rain is on its way. I tried finding the original molding and they dont make it anymore

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok guys I bought this 92 explorer and someone has put an aftermarket sunroof in it from who knows when. Well it leaked and the headliner was all moldy and gross. So I tore it all out bought a factory headliner and covered it with tweed... I got to looking at the sunroof and where the glass meets the roof in the back it looks like someone has cut big gaps into the molding... I can stick my pinky through it... what should i use to fix it..? I tried using silicone but to make it so it wont leak the sunroof struggles to open and close... and im in washington and the rain is on its way. I tried finding the original molding and they dont make it anymore

get over to a wreckers

Its not a factory sunroof and the wreckers around here dont have any explorers with sun roofs

pull it out, weld some patches, and then put it in again

This is a worst-case idea: You could try an online junk yard, and "upgrade" to a factory unit. You may have to adjust the size of the hole.

Mike

I have a 93 Limited with OE sunroof, and it leaks along the back edge where the glass doesn't meet the seal completely. I have a good seal though, and shall fill the seal groove with Ultra Black RTV, and set the seal in it, but higher. The RTV will hold my seal higher, to meet the glass.

If your sunroof is similar to the OEM 93/94 version, you might be able to do the same thing. Find a suitable seal material, something which will match at the ends where you will cut/splice it. RTV it in place, filling the gaps underneath the seal. Set the seal into the RTV and hold in place with it about 1/8" above where the glass comes down to. Let it dry for many hours, and good luck.

PS. I also have a 99 sunroof that could be wired into any 91-01 Explorer, with welding in the steel roof hole(I have it).

Attachments

• 99Sunroof02.JPG
    99Sunroof02.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 383
  • 99SunroofLip02.JPG
    99SunroofLip02.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 381

Back