How To: Suede Headliner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Suede Headliner

korey89

Reaction score
This tutorial is for a Ranger, the explorer will more or less be the same except you will need more material.

Alright, so I've been seeing talk of people redoing their headliners in suede but not too much actual information on how to do it or what products to use. So here is how to correctly recover your headliner in suede. The headliner comes out very easy, remove all the trim around it and the grab handles, light, visors etc as well as a little plastic push pin on each side.

2.jpg

The first thing we need is materials. I can't stress enough how important it is to you QUALITY material. There is a lot of spray adhesives out there that won't hold the headliner in place and it will sag. I recommend buying everything from Your Auto Trim Store . They special glue which is made for this and is much better quality than any others I have used before. The material is also made specific for headliner use. It is a foam backed suede so it looks better and is much easier to use than non-foam backed. It feels great and the charcoal matches my interior perfect. I ordered 3 yards to have a little extra for some other parts as well.

3.jpg

Now position the headliner somewhere that you will have room to work and where glue overspray won't be an issue. You will notice that I didn't remove my old headliner material. It was in good shape and not separating at all, if yours is separating or messed up you will need to fully remove all of it.

4.jpg

Next we need to lay the suede over the headliner to figure out how much is needed. Be sure to press the suede down so it is touching the headliner and then give yourself a good 6-8" around the edges.

5.jpg

Some people like to do the entire headliner at once, but this can be a lot harder. Personally I like to do it in two halfs. So fold half of your headliner back.

6.jpg

Now begin spraying the glue. You need to spray both halves and then let them setup for 2 minutes before you apply them to eachother. If you don't let it setup it will separate. The glue cans have an adjustable spray amount as well, I found this very cool and used the widest setting.

7.jpg

Press it down and then repeat on the other side. You want to work from the center out. If you get any wrinkles peel the suede up, pull and stretch it tight, then restick it. I had a couple and doing that made them go away.

8.jpg

Now carefully flip the headliner over. Then you want to trim the excess down to about 2-3" and glue it to the backside of the headliner. You will need to make some relief slits in the corners and other bended areas. Also cutout any openings, I used an Exacto knife to do it.

10.jpg

Headliner is complete! Now reinstall and enjoy. If you choose to change your headliners color I would recommend using SEM brand interior trim paint to make the grab handles and other items match.

12.jpg

As you can see they offer the headliner in four colors. I chose "charcoal" for mine since I wanted to match my stock charcoal interior.

Here is the link to the suede headliner material:
Suede Headliner (Foam Backed)

And the spray adhesive:
Performance Hi-Temp Trim Spray Adhesive

kwm-logo.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice write up! Great job, looks fantastic.

Have you ever done a headliner with a moon roof? That is what is stopping me from re-doing mine. I am not so sure how to get the headliner off with the moon roof.

Another great write up! Would love to do this.

I just removed my headliner the other day, the only difference is with a sunroof, (in the 95 eddie bauer ex) is there is a little plastic type trim around it that pulls right off. careful though its glued on.

Ya- no big deal- pull the rubber surround, that will let the headliner drop from the moonroof, and also free up the roof console, just pull the front straight down. There are no screws holding the roof console in on moonroof models...

The Suede looks so nice.I just bought headliner fabric to redo my 96 ex and was looking on how to remove the clothes hooks and seat belt had no luck but after seeing the suede now im just sad. looks sweet!!!

Clothes hooks should just be screws. Seat belts, remove the covers and I believe it is a Torx 50 (but could be a 40).

Thanks for the help im new to the forum and this was my 1st project and really appreciate replys So we re did the headliner, It came out great, I did have issues getting the screws in for the visors , but that aside when i went to reinstall the interior rear dome light(the headliner was already up) i cant find the power wire to save my life! but the headliner looks great!

Nice write-up, Korey!
Two questions, do you have a ballpark dollar amount for the materials you used, and what year is your Ranger?

Has anybody taken out the moonroof sliding cover? That would need to be redone also, to look good. How to???

Nice job here!

i will be doing this myself soon. ordered the same suede except in gray and the same glue. for my ranger also. stuff will be here thursday. cant wait

Looking forward to pics Xeek, will u be doing a seperate thread or posting pics here? $60 sounds like a steal!

I had a custom place quote me about $500 to redo headliner in black suede. Needless to say, didnt get it done.

prob both i guess. a link to mine posted in here. i think it was like 71 or something, but i found a 15% off coupon code. if i have enough left over i might try the fabric on the door panels on a later day. i doubt ill get to the headliner this weekend. not sure yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back