• Register Today It's free!

How to turn off AWD

BigV

Reaction score
City, State
Dirty Jerzey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Adrenalin
Ok a couple of you have said this can be done how do you do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From everything I've read, if you have AWD you can't do anything about it. If you have the Auto 4x4 then you have the option of doing the BWM.

Looks like I might have popped into the right forum. I have an '09 with the 4.6 engine and the auto 4x4 option. I swear that I can feel it kick in a lot more frequently than I would prefer. My dealer service adviser told me that the vehicle would always be in 4x4 auto and that there was no way to run in just 2 wheel drive. But he also couldn't tell me the difference between all wheel drive and 4x4 auto. Do any of you know a way that I can stay in 2wd if I want to? I would appreciate any help you could give me.

One day I was driving and started playing with my digital gauge..I pushed the button in switching catagories and found something that said; switch AWD to Auto to off. If anyone wishes to comment, or has idea of what I was playing with. Let me know.

Run- I am not disputing your comment, but check again, I had this conversation with someone else that said that and there is actually no "off" selection. just the ability to lock awd. I think our brain adds the "off" option subliminally because we want it. However if you do have it, please let us know the details.

No problem, your probably correct. I just wanted to state I found something aobut the AWD and someway to modify something related to AWD using the gauge reset button.
I actaully found it by mistake.
I was trying to reset my "Change oil due" message. There are probably other things there to modify, but I was driving and really did not concentrate on it.

I would play around with it some more to see if you really did find something. Otherwise, set of hand tools and laying on your back. Take out the front driveshaft and go drifting around corners:D

My dealer service adviser told me that the vehicle would always be in 4x4 auto and that there was no way to run in just 2 wheel drive. But he also couldn't tell me the difference between all wheel drive and 4x4 auto.
AWD has power going to all the wheels all the time. Typically less to the front wheels, Audi and Porsche use a 30/70 split I think. In Ford's 4x4 Auto mode the front end isn't receiving any power at all unless the computer detects rear wheel slippage, then it kicks in. In the winter on snow I find it rather annoying so I just lock in 4x4 Hi and motor on. On dry roads I never feel it kick in and out, so I don't think it does anything then.

Do any of you know a way that I can stay in 2wd if I want to?
Take out the front driveshaft or trade it on a 4x2 Trac.

From what I understand the AWD in the 06+s is just a Control Trac system without the low range. I'd look into seeing if the BWM will work.

On my 2010 STA I pulled fuse #26 from the box under the hood, held down the traction control button till the indicator blinked on the dash, and it boiled the rear tires! You will get the orange wrench screen upon start up, but hitting reset clears it.

On my 2010 STA I pulled fuse #26 from the box under the hood, held down the traction control button till the indicator blinked on the dash, and it boiled the rear tires! You will check the orange wrench screen upon start up, but hitting reset clears it.
Any long term mechanical problems with doing this?

Any long term mechanical problems with doing this?
Nothing I'm aware of, mostly tried it out of curiosity. I've never ran it long term for the same reason you've asked.

Back