How was your Baumann shift-kit install? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How was your Baumann shift-kit install?

SVO LOU

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer AWD
I hope to be ordering one within a week or so and was wondering how the install was for you. Is it as simple as dropping the trans. pan and filter then dropping the valve body to make modifications? That's how a B&M shift-kit was for the older Turbo 350's and was wondering if the Baumann is similar.
Any caveats?

Thanks.
Lou.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, get at least 10 quarts of trans fluid.....(it took me 3 trips to pep boys to figure that out)

I went stage 2 on everything. I kinda wish I went stage 3 on the 2-3 and 3-4. I'm too lazy to drop the pan and reset it.

Baumann is the greatest. The instructions are great w/clear pics. I even had a question and called SC on a saturday and someone answered the phone!
You'll love it and swear off "electronic shift enhancers" once you get it in. It took me and a buddy about 5 hours (if I remember) and we were reall slow and **** about everything. It probably could be done in a couple of hours.

Good luck

Attachments

• valvebody1a.jpg
    valvebody1a.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 300

Yes- the install was very easy and it was my first time playing with a tranny... drop the pan, pull the filter, unbody the vavle body and take it to the work bench.

I went stage 4 and am very happy with the results!!!!....

I also didnt feel like taking a bath with tranny fluid.... so i used a punch and punched a hole in the tranny pan to let it drain. once the pan was removed i drilled a hole and brazed in a drain plug!! something the factory forgot!! good luck

Thanks for the tips.
So is Stage 1 softest shift and Stage 4 hardest shift? I'll probably end up going 1 Stage above half.

Thanks again.
Lou.

stage 1 is the softest... i believe stage 5 is the firmest

Don't do stage 1 - I dont think you'll be happy, it's barely above stock. Read the manual when you get it, then decide. BTW - Each shift point can be set to a different level.

Will a Baumann have any adverse effects on my tranny as it has over 100k on it, and I am worried that it will be the first thing to go on my car.
Basically does this do anything to hurt my tranny, or will it help it, besides changing/firming up shifts?
Does it allow the user to change the shift points, or is that the function of the electronic controllers?

Thanks alot

Chris

i have heard that a shift kit will shorten the life of a tranny but not sure how true that is. i have heard to do it correctly go with a custom valve body.

but anyhow.... i have my stock tranny behind my supercharged 302 w/ 11lbs of boostand it has held up fine!!!!... i installed the shift kit with about 85-90k miles on it and it now has 103K and the tranny is still living fine.... i am very happy with the baumann shift kit and plan on installing one in my new explorer as well.

I've always believed that a shift-kit will actually extend the life of a transmission. Manufacturers try to make shifts as smooth as possible and this is done by delaying the 1-2, 2-3, etc shift. This delay is actually the clutch plates slipping causing the accelerated wear. I've always been told that a shift-kit, by removing much of the delay between shifts ,also reduces that accelerated wear.
CAUTION: I am not a transmission engineer nor do I pretend to play one. :D

Lou.

I'm lookin at either rebuilding my transmission or getting a low milage used one in the near future. I was also considering getting a shift kit installed when I do this and getting a chip. What are your guy's thoughts on this? I'm a streeter but I wouldn't mind having my transmission shift a lil less wimpy.

Bauman has a great website

"This easy to install kit builds upon the development experience gained with our AOD and E4OD products. Highly advanced features of this system include five user-selectable (during installation) levels of shift firmness for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts as well as a special overdrive shift calibration which alleviates the characteristic and detrimental 3-4 synchronous bind found in this transmission."

Lou - while the pan is down you can install the Bypass Clutch Control Valve and the Pressure Regulator Valve for cheap insurance.

Check out the site at:
Dead Link Removed

Back