Hyper flashing after hitch brake light installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hyper flashing after hitch brake light installed

TRxP

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
I put my hitch brake light on my 2020 Explorer, same hitch light I used on my 2015, but for some reason it causes my turn signals to hyper flash. Local dealer couldn’t give me an answer. Wondering if anyone here might possibly have an idea as to what might be causing it or do I possible need to get a load resistor. The hitch brake light is LED

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are electronic flashers which are designed to be used with LED lights.
There is no physical flasher unit on these vehicles and the turn signals along with the majority of bulbs are LED.

Peter

The rate of flash is determined by the BCM. The only way to avoid hyper blink I believe is with load resistors. The 5th gen. was the same.

Peter

I put my hitch brake light on my 2020 Explorer, same hitch light I used on my 2015, but for some reason it causes my turn signals to hyper flash. Local dealer couldn’t give me an answer. Wondering if anyone here might possibly have an idea as to what might be causing it or do I possible need to get a load resistor. The hitch brake light is LED

i've experienced the same problem with both LED and incandescent hitch lights. seems like adding load resistors is necessary but i haven't had a chance to try that yet.

The rate of flash is determined by the BCM. The only way to avoid hyper blink I believe is with load resistors. The 5th gen. was the same.

Peter

Forscan.. all Fords can be turned off, it is a setting in IDS that we can access with Forscan (5th gen too).

Forscan.. all Fords can be turned off, it is a setting in IDS that we can access with Forscan (5th gen too).

do you know if turning off hyperflash can alleviate the error messages that pop up in the dash (indicating failed signal light and/or attempting to renegotiate the trailer connection)?

do you know if turning off hyperflash can alleviate the error messages that pop up in the dash (indicating failed signal light and/or attempting to renegotiate the trailer connection)?

No clue to your questions except that turning it off prevents the hyperflash.

Yes that’s exactly what I keep getting. When I use the brake or turn signals it will do just that.

Back