I am ready to start my eddie project...'94 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I am ready to start my eddie project...'94

JGarrison

Reaction score
City, State
Middleburg------Just out side of Jacksonville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
alright i am ready to start making my '94 eddie road worthy. i dont wanna go that high thinking 4 inch suspension lift and some all-terain tires on 17s i wanna get the windows tinted and posibably installing a sunroof i am up for suggestions and will post pics as we do the projects i will be cleaning the truck and taking pics in the morning i will post them and we will start coming up with ideas and where to get the parts at a very reasonable price. i wanna make this truck last so no jimmy riggin if possible and i need some ideas on making the engine and tranny last..aka rebuild kits or start building one on the side...i hae lots of questions like other models the i can use parts from and what gen my x is...and so on... look forward to all the ideas and fun this is going to be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4 or 4x2?

if you are gonna be doing some off road action in it and if its hot there, spend the 35 bucks and get a trans temp gauge kit. summit has one by B&M for bout 35 and it takes an hour or less to install.

nothin like deciding to go off road and end up blowin your trans pan gasket out (what i did) and turning a shaft of gears and bands into one solid metal rod...think smart, not hard.

JGarrison said:
i hae lots of questions like other models the i can use parts from and what gen my x is
1991-1994 are 1st gens,
1995-2001 are 2nd gens,
2002-2005 are 3rd gens
2006+ are 4th gens

Sounds like its gonna be a fun project, cant wait to see pics...hopefully I can help:p:

be sure to post pics of it

Here are the pics

here are some pics let me know what she needs

day 1 a.jpg

day 1 b.jpg

day 1 c.jpg

Wow, shiny!
Ditch the side skirts.
Ditch the lower plastic on the front bumper.
4" lift with extended radius arms.
34x10.50s on the stock wheels.
4.56s
if it's auto you need a really good external transmission cooler. One with a fan if possible. Do this first. Also a temp gauge if you can. I roasted my A4LD on the first trail ride in under two hours and I wasn't even pushing any limits.

Wow, shiny!
Ditch the side skirts.
Ditch the lower plastic on the front bumper.
4" lift with extended radius arms.
34x10.50s on the stock wheels.
4.56s
if it's auto you need a really good external transmission cooler. One with a fan if possible. Do this first. Also a temp gauge if you can. I roasted my A4LD on the first trail ride in under two hours and I wasn't even pushing any limits.

what are the exrended radius arms?
what is 4.56s?
if i keep my stock rims what size are they?
i was told that 33's was as big as i could go for rubbing issues i dont want to cut anything.

sorry if my questions sound dumb but i am just getting into this kinda stuff

wow looks looks nice. like mine did about 2 months ago. dont jump to 34s yet i dont think.
i have 4 inch lift and SOA with 33s and im more then happy with that setup.
although i do need some 4.10s...those 3.73s arnt cuttin it anymore

what are the exrended radius arms?
what is 4.56s?
if i keep my stock rims what size are they?
i was told that 33's was as big as i could go for rubbing issues i dont want to cut anything.

sorry if my questions sound dumb but i am just getting into this kinda stuff
Radius arms are the arms that hold the axle to the frame. Like this:

540px-Radius_rod_sway_bar.jpg

Extended radius arms allow more height in the suspension. Too short and it will hamper your suspension drop.

4.56's are in reference to a front/rear gear ratio. In this case a 4.56:1 ratio. Generally the lower the gear (numerically higher) increases the torque applied to the front/rear axle shafts and in turn the wheels. The larger the wheel, the more stress is put on the rear gears. It also decreases gas mileage. Generally 3.73:1 ratio (quite common on explorers) is a good starting point to increase tire size without swapping gears. Both the front and back gears MUST be the same in order to use 4x4 or you will grenade your transfer case.

The stock size rims are 15" x 7" or 8". The correct tire size for the ex is 235/75/R15.

Some people alleviate the cutting problem by applying a body lift (Larger plastic or rubber bushings replace the original smaller bushings between the body and frame) to their ex. This increases the distance from the top of the fender to the tire. A straight up suspension lift (where all height is gained from switching to larger and taller suspension components) will cause tire rub on SOME explorers. 33's are awful large for stock height. Usually people run both a body AND suspension lift to accommodate larger tires like 34"-36".

Talk to some of the other guys on here. They definitely can answer most if not all your questions.

As for my opinion, I think you should take some time to study the Elite registry forums and see where people have taken their ex's and decide what you want to do. Study, study study, ask questions, and do it the way YOU think it should be done. Nobody on this forum has the right to tell you what they think you should do with your vehicle. EXPLORE the options. ;)

I think it looks good as is....

Radius arms are the arms that hold the axle to the frame. Like this:

540px-Radius_rod_sway_bar.jpg

Extended radius arms allow more height in the suspension. Too short and it will hamper your suspension drop.

4.56's are in reference to a front/rear gear ratio. In this case a 4.56:1 ratio. Generally the lower the gear (numerically higher) increases the torque applied to the front/rear axle shafts and in turn the wheels. The larger the wheel, the more stress is put on the rear gears. It also decreases gas mileage. Generally 3.73:1 ratio (quite common on explorers) is a good starting point to increase tire size without swapping gears. Both the front and back gears MUST be the same in order to use 4x4 or you will grenade your transfer case.

The stock size rims are 15" x 7" or 8". The correct tire size for the ex is 235/75/R15.

Some people alleviate the cutting problem by applying a body lift (Larger plastic or rubber bushings replace the original smaller bushings between the body and frame) to their ex. This increases the distance from the top of the fender to the tire. A straight up suspension lift (where all height is gained from switching to larger and taller suspension components) will cause tire rub on SOME explorers. 33's are awful large for stock height. Usually people run both a body AND suspension lift to accommodate larger tires like 34"-36".

Talk to some of the other guys on here. They definitely can answer most if not all your questions.

As for my opinion, I think you should take some time to study the Elite registry forums and see where people have taken their ex's and decide what you want to do. Study, study study, ask questions, and do it the way YOU think it should be done. Nobody on this forum has the right to tell you what they think you should do with your vehicle. EXPLORE the options. ;)

Yep- this guy got it right on the money. Pretty much all of it. I was about to do a 4" lift when I found that I could possibly clear on only 2". I read a lot and asked questions and now I'm doing exactly what I wanted- running a decent tire (34x10.50) on only a 2" lift. I LOOOOOOOVE it. Had I just outright listened to the others I'd have been happy but always wondering if I could have lifted it less.

Good luck with it. You have a beautiful Explorer you're starting with!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first i am gonna get the suspension lift and tires i found a lift at roughcountry.com

Includes:
Front coil springs, radius arm drop brackets, I-beam drop brackets, sway-bar drop brackets, power steering pitman arm, 4 RC Hydro 8000 series shocks, u-bolts, and option of rear blocks or rear leaf springs.

Benefits:
• Redesigned kit for easier installation!
• Fits 33" tires with no rubbing or trimming of fender well.

Notes:
• Does NOT fit 87-88 Rangers w/"High Rider STX" option.
• Vehicles w/ manual steering add manual pitman arm.
• Single steering stabilizer will not work on Bronco IIs with our 4" suspension and sway-bar drop brackets equipped.
• Lifts Fit Year Models:
- 1983-1997 Ranger
- 1984-1990 Bronco II
- 1990-1994 Explorer

90-94 4wd Explorer 4" Suspension [440H].......680.95
1991-95 Explorer steering stabilizer [87384]......49.95
6604 Manual Steering Pitman Arm....................35.00
shipping......................................................85.00
total.........................................................851.85

how does this sound

Back