• Register Today It's free!

I did something really stupid

turboranger91

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas city
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
The other night, I was on my way home from work, when I got a faint smell of something electrical burning. Within a matter of 3 seconds, the entire cabin was filled with smoke. I immediately shut the engine off, and pulled over. I had the a/c on, so smoke was blowing everywhere. I had no clue where it was coming from. I popped the hood, but saw nothing out of sorts. I opened all the doors to let the smoke clear, and started looking around. What I found made me very angry... With myself. I used to have an amp and subs in the back. When the amp took a crap on me, I removed everything... Except the wiring. What kind of idiot leaves a live power wire just laying in the cargo area... Right next to the ground wire!? That's right... I am that idiot.

The wiring has all been removed, so it won't happen again, but now I'm left with the aftermath. It melted a few spots if plastic on the right rear interior panel, and a few big spots of my carpet are burnt and melted through... Oh, and I get to replace my battery today too... It's toast.

My question is: is the rear cargo area carpet separate from the rest, or is the entire cabin done in one piece?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know! I was so thankful that I still have the truck and not a roasted marshmallow.

It's separate. You can find the carpeting and interior panels at a salvage yard cheap. I found some cargo area carpeting at a pick'n'pull that was perfect. Even the right color!

Someone stole my sub and amp a while back, but I left the wiring, because I was replacing the stolen goods. I taped off the ends of the wires with electrical tape, though. ;)

Thats insane.... im glad it wasnt anything too major... as for the amp and sub... i have to have good music and I also need the space for work... so I installed one of these babies... no one will steal it because the whole right panel has to come off just to remove it... and nothings ever in my way taking up trunk space... not to mention this thing can really crank up if i need it too!.....
4y019D.jpg

cZpJkV.jpg

Is that a 12"?!

Is that a 12"?!

it's a 10... I could trim it and fit a 12 if I wanted...but its not necessary at all.... I get really good sound from this.... I actually had to turn it down because some of the old plastic would rattle too much. :D

That's the only thing that really stopped me (I wanted a 12"). That and removing the panels. As it is, I don't haul stuff often. When I do, I can always just take the box out. I was worried about cracking a panel by removing it. Though, when I do the headliner, I'll have to risk it.

That's the only thing that really stopped me (I wanted a 12"). That and removing the panels. As it is, I don't haul stuff often. When I do, I can always just take the box out. I was worried about cracking a panel by removing it. Though, when I do the headliner, I'll have to risk it.

I did car audio/video for 15 years... unless you are an audio file... you wont tell the difference between a 10in or 12in sub... I have seen four 8in woofers out perform 12 and 15in subs all day long... people that get in the truck think I have a big box in my truck the thing whams so hard.... that with my door speakers it sounds great... as far as the panels go... it really isn't bad... you may break a few of the little connectors...which can be replaced for really cheap but you wont break the panel itself.... other than that it was pretty easy.

Do you haul things in the back a lot? I took my carpet out and put on bed liner.

Back