I have no idea what I'm doing can anyone help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have no idea what I'm doing can anyone help

We are planning to take a trip to Oklahoma for a scooter rally in less than 2 weeks and I don't know what kind of trailer or trailer hitch to use. Right now I have no hitch on my bumper at all. Can I put a ball hitch on to tow a trailer or is that bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...thanks joe dirt...:D...you answered it while i was gone pretty much the same way i would have...:thumbsup:...and uhaul will generally install what they sell, but $150-$200 bucks installed sounds about right...any more than that i would shop around...;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcoem to the forum

Thanks guys for all your help. We found a 16 foot trailer that apparently has 2 sets of tires on it?? I'm being told that if I have a ball hitch on my bumper and I have the weight distributed correctly that I won't be putting too much weight on my bumper.....I have the electrical hookups for a trailer on the back of my Explorer if that means anything. But I dont see anything that looks like its reinforced for towing. I checked my manual but it doesn't say anything about what features I have. I guess if I had a tow package with my explorer I'd know right?? Theres a piece of plastic that apparently pops out & thats where the ball goes?? I have 2 little holes under my bumper that I'm guessing are for the chains.
-M

A double axle trailer typically has trailer brakes on it and will need either a 5, 6, or 7 pin connector, not just a 4-pin which is most common. The piece of plastic that pops out is located on the bumper and would not be ideal for towing this heavy of a trailer. I would guess that this trailer is capable of 8k lbs and probably weighs 1500 empty, putting about 600-700 lbs worth of tongue weight on your hitch, which is more than is recommended for your bumper. Additionally, I would guess that your trailer requires a 2 and 5/16 inch ball for that trailer, whereas most lightweight trailers require only a 2 inch ball. Please correct any of my assumptions.

I'm sure in Kansas she can find somebody other than U-Haul to install a hitch. Come on guys do we forget so soon? Sure we can pay them for a hitch and towing accessories but they still won't rent us a trailer.:roll:

Look for a local company that sells trailers. I'm sure they will be able to sell and install a hitch for you. They will more than likely take pride in their work also.

Look for a local company that sells trailers. I'm sure they will be able to sell and install a hitch for you. They will more than likely take pride in their work also

and set her up properly to tow the exact trailer that she wishes

Back