i need help with 4 codes please

orion1998_1

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 mounty
i have a 2000 xls with the ohv. i'm getting codes p0401,p1309,p0171,p0174

cel has been on since i have owned it. i have replaced the pefe, whatever its called, long ago. is there anywhere online where i can get egr info? as in stepp for checking and pics? i was told both o2 sensors where bad but after trying to look for these codes i dont think that may be it.

my troubles, low mpg, 17 overall, some hesitence driver, different times, some foul smell from exhaust.

I am certainly not an expert here, but a foul smelling exhaust could be a clogged cat, which could lead to a bad O2 diagnosis, but is probably not the O2 sensors.

Also, when I got the 171 and 174 codes last year, I did a search on this forum and I believe the consensus seemed to be the O-ring gaskets in the intake manifold; the codes only happened once in the cold New England winter, but once I erased the codes they did not come back. Apparently it is more common in cold weather as things contract. I plan on replacing them this fall. There is a kit from Ford, 00M12 for about $50. It could be more now.

I suggest using the search function. You will probably find a lot of information.

i tried search, nothing with all 4 codes. plus mine is a ohv not the sohc motor so i didnt think intake manifold gaskets would be one of my problems

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.

Back