I need help with an engine rattle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help with an engine rattle.

chaserofstorms

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
A mechanic told me that the rattle I hear from the engine of my 2000 explorer limited was the timing chains. He said it would be at least $1000 to fix. I have 171k on the vehicle and need to rely on it to get me out to the Midwest in a couple of months to do some storm chasing. Is this a repair I can do myself in the driveway? I am looking for any information or help with this matter. Thank you! Chris Schild

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the board!
You don't mention what engine you have?

V8? V6? SOHC?

If its a SOHC, its a big job. Unless you're really comfortable removing the engine as I think there is a chain on the back of the motor, I would not attempt it. Also if it breaks, the SOHC is an interference engine and pistons will meet valves.. and then your toast.

The chain on a regular V6 or V8 is not a difficult job, just lots of stuff to remove to get to it.

Im sure a more experienced guy can add more...

Go figure mine is a SOHC...... Oh goodie

Search around the site. There are a LOT of threads on this issue. I used to own a SOHC equipped Sport ('00) and had the "Death Rattle". Luckily for me, mine was under warranty and got fixed in a day by the stealership.

Good deal

If you can get a mechanic to pull the engine, replace all of the chains, guides and tensioners and reinstall the engine for $1,000 I'd be surprised. It's a big job that normally requires a special timing tool set that costs at least $170. I've just started the process and am not looking forward to it. The last few days I've been assembling a newly purchased foldable 1 ton shop crane and 1,000 pound engine stand. Only the right rear timing cassette requires engine removal for replacement. Can you localize the source of the rattle by listening with a mechanic's stethoscope or hose? The three possibilities are upper right rear, upper left front, and lower center front.

Back