I need some tire/wheel info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need some tire/wheel info

Hey Gang,

Im new to this SUV thing...been driving around the last decade in a little old speedster. Anyhow, Ive got a 92 X sport that is pretty much stock everything. The tire/wheel combo look stock and Id like to at least upgrade my wheel package. Using the stock rims, could I go to say...245, 255 /70 or 65 series on the stock 15's? No offense to the group whos rollin on 33, or 34s or whatever, Id just like to get some wider tires and would like to know what my stock package can do.

thanks!

ZcSpec

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could go as big as a 31x10.5 on the stock rims, but it might not fit under your ride without rubbing. I know that the eddie baur editions come with 255/70/16 on a 7" wide rim, so I now you can go that wide. That is just slightly smaller than a 31x10.5x15 would be equal to.

31X10.5 will go on the stock set-up with no problem (no rubbing). You could go 32X10.5 as well but than you'd get some tire - body contact in the front. If you have money to spend get a set of new rims - let's say 15X8 and a set of nice Wrangler RT/S tires (31X10.5) and voila! huge difference in looks! very good road manners and little better off-road handling. That was one of my first mods that I have performed... and I took my truck off-road..
want to see pictures? let me know.

lots of luck!

no no no. the first generation explorers are different. the biggest you can go is a 30x9.5 with the occasional truck being able to fit a slightly larger tire, but i wouldnt plan on it.

read about it here (dont worry, its short): http://www.explorer4x4.com/faq.htm#91-94

OK........ when you compare tire size your 30X9.5 tire is basically the same size as the stock one. I have put 31X10.5 RT/S Wranglers on my truck on stock rims with no problem and with no rubbing at all..... and it was on a 1994 Limited. Then I went to larger rims and still - no rubbing - there was no lift on the truck yet at the time. Later I have put 33's but that required lift....

I guess some trucks might have their suspension a bit worn out..... make sure your coil springs perform well and shocks are OK. To be shure it's OK before you even do it and you have early model X get a cheap lift from Skyjacker.......... and no problems.

Skyjacker makes a 2" suspension lift....... $150.00

Thanks!

Hey gang,

Nice way to welcome a newbee...thanks for all the replies! Hopefully Ill get some nice aftermarket rims soon!

glad I could help...... always a pleasure. I've been in the same situation when came to this place first time......... imagine...... 94 Limited, all stock!! it took me about a year to max it out modifying...... now I'm going at my 98 Sport full swing.....

have questions? we have answers......

where else can you find a group of people like this?

Back