I want to hear about your 8.8 carnage! particularily lock rights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to hear about your 8.8 carnage! particularily lock rights

Gary E

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 cherokee
I currently have an 8.8 in my Cherokee and am pitching that limited slip for an open carrier and plan on ordering a lock right for the rear, I had a lock right in my dana 35 (rear) without issues but I want to hear about how they do in an 8.8

So far I have heard the 8.8 carrier is the weak link, well that and spinning axle tubes with traction bars.

C'mon you guys do wheel these things right?;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i run 37" tires on my 8.8 and everyone of my jeep buddys have since swapped in 8.8 in their jeeps to replace the stupid weak alum rear end jeeps have... now theres a weak ass rear end. i have powertrax both front and rear and have never once threw a shaft or had problems with the carrier .... only thing i have seen happen with the 8.8 was a guy completly sheer of the axel shaft.... thats it... other than that i think the 8.8 is a pretty though rear....

I have an ARB in my 8.8 and haven't had any problems with it, in fact I don't know anyone who has dammaged their 8.8. I know a very people who have exploded their ARB's inside, but never the 8.8.
There are many j@@pers on this site that have change an 8.8 into their j@@ps. Hopefully one of them can give you their experience. My Explorer is quite abit heavier than your j@@p, you shouldn't have any problems.

Where around Sac do you go wheeling?
I'm a couple of hours south of you. :)

Well I think Troll blew his 8.8 but that was at the track with 5-600 hp :eek:

Mine with 4.30 gears, an Eaton LS, 33x12.50s, and over 350 tq is fine :D

we go to the con, fordyce, barret, and probably closer to you swamp lake, I want to do the dusy ershim trail this year though. If you don't mind hanging out with a bunch of J**p cherokees we have a con and swamp run planned this summer allready.

The swamp lake run sounds like fun. When are you going?

right now its set at aug 1-3

Gary,
Give me a holler when you guys get ready to go.

I don't know of anyone that has grenaded an 8.8, locker or not. It's a pretty stout axle. The rest of the drivetrain components bust looonnnggg before the 8.8

Back