• Register Today It's free!

importance of radius arms?

nava joe

Reaction score
City, State
ann arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 navajo lx
alright so i am putting my order into James Duff tomorrow for the new dual shock coil buckets and the Stage 1 suspension lift kit. That is basically the stage 2 lift kit except for the extended radius arms, which cost an additional $500, what exactly do these things do that they are worth that much? I am only planning on having 31 or 32 inch tires, does anybody have any insight on this situation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radius arms keep your front axle in position with the truck. I think. Maybe i'm just stupid though. Probably.

If you don't get the extended radius arms, where will you mount the bottom of the second shock?

TheFox88 said:
Radius arms keep your front axle in position with the truck. I think. Maybe i'm just stupid though. Probably.

If you don't get the extended radius arms, where will you mount the bottom of the second shock?

i think hes got a point with the Duff arms, i think you need theirs to utalize the dual shock mount... But that doesnt mean you can just weld another stud on to your radius arms... im not sure how they work (never owned it).

The radius arms are the main, solid intermedium between the axle (arms) and the frame. They do exactly what the name says, and direct the amount of radial movement of the axle arms; in relation to where they are bolted to the frame. The longer the arms, the more (circular degree) movement they will allow as far as that radius from the frame.

... in other words, longer radius arms will give you a smoother ride, with more articulate flex.

the dual coil buckets as far as i can tell can be used on a stock setup since they sell them as a separate item, and these arms aren't in the stage 1 kit

If you really want a nice TTB setup, get the extended R/A's. They not only provide a smoother ride, but they also give you quite a bit more flex. Well worth your money, if you plan on keeping the TTB.

could i just buy them in like 6 months, i figured that i would use the ones i have until they break

you will never BREAK a radius arm. Yeah you can use yours just fine but why just lift it to be taller? WHy not get the added function of the extended RA?

you could wear out the bushings pretty fast im sure by putting them at more of an angle from the suspension lift but nissanboy's right youll never break them.. stock radius arms relatively short and would limit the travel/ articulation quite a bit compared to the longer duff ones. get the longer R A's you will be happy with their performance.

uh but for $500 extra for a bit of articulation, is it worth it?

nava joe said:
the dual coil buckets as far as i can tell can be used on a stock setup since they sell them as a separate item, and these arms aren't in the stage 1 kit

I called Duff about their dual coil buckets about a week ago. And asked them about using them with my stock radius arms. He said you have to make your own lower shock mount and people have done it. I think the price was around $175

nava joe said:
if you are gonna be doing some wheeling then yes and it will help out the ride quality with the lift. im sure somebody makes cheaper arms that will work with your lift too...

Won't running the shorter arms also affect the caster change a lot more when the suspension travels up and down? I thought part of the reason for the extended RAs was to gain travel, but doesn't it help keep the suspension geometry in check too?

Personally I'd spend the extra dough for them.... but that's just me.

-Joe

Extended radius arms are the ONLY way to go.
Without them you are just lifting the truck and changing the spring rate to the Duff VR coil. You mine as well go body lift without the extended arms, get them now to make it easier on yourself, adding them later is just working backwards.Also are you set on using Duff??

If your not going to offroad, or only do some mild offroading they are a waste. It boils down to what your going to use the X for. If you decide you do need them install them now. It's just double work later.
You can use the dual shock setup on the stock arms. You have to drill a hole in the arm for a bolt to use as the lower mount. There's a writeup on it I think on the www.explorer4x4.com site

nava joe said:

its more then just the articulation. If you lift using drop brackets you're going to sacrafice the ride... when i say ride, i mean stockness feel. It will be worse then stock.

It will also defeats the purpose of lifting with nice dual shock mounts and coil bucket. Since that stuff improves the ride over stock. If you got the extended arms you feel the biggest difference on the highway.

if you want a cheap lift, go with a body lift (100 bucks DIY). Or get the trailmaster 4" lift for 400 bucks.

also drop brackets are more prone to breaking. Extended radius arms will not break.

Jason94Sport, this is completely wrong.
The radius arms will improve the ride of the now lifted truck, ESPECIALLY on the street, since the truck is driven mostly on the street.

Radius arms change the geometry of the TTB's travel cycle, HUGE imprivement over stock......cornering, rough roads, bumpy intersections, speed bumps, and just driving daily is so much better with extended arms, they are the ONLY way to improve the ride of the TTB, anything else is just dropping the suspension lower from the frame to gain clearance for larger tires. A body lift essentially accomplishes the same thing for much much cheaper. If your ride was improved with a stage I kit w/o the arms, it is because you chaged the spring rate and added new shocks

Also the forum you linked to is this one :)
Explorerforum.com and Explorer4x4.com are the same.

If you can wait and save money to get the longer radius arms go for it. You'll be just fine with the stock arms for a while.

My 4" lift, 35s with stock radius arms for 3.5 years. I wouldn't consider myself a "mild" off-roader either.

Oh, and I've seen 4 broken after market radius arms.

Rubicon:

1600rubicon1.jpg

1600rubicon2.jpg

Truck Haven:

1600flexthaven.jpg

Your best bet is tro do all the work at once, alignment once, etc. You are better off saving the $$ now and do it right the first time

Froader you know you did it wrong :) hahaha (pssssst so did I, this is why i say do it now!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya, I was in the same boat though with not enough money at the time. Then I just never got them. I was happy with the way that truck performed. Rubicon twice (did old sluice), Moab twice (Bump Dump, most hard trails and Lion's Back), Truck Haven countless times. The thing handled better without sway bars than my buddy's 2000 GTI too...

Anyway, If you can somehow afford them, get them, if not, you'll be fine.

Back