Increasing payload on 96 Ranger 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Increasing payload on 96 Ranger 2wd

LeadingEdge

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Ranger
Greetings, I am sure this is a popular subject but just could not find all the answers.
Severly rusted cab and leaf spring brackets are leading to modifications to rear suspension to increase payload. Would like to load up to 2000-3000#. Shocks are rusted also and will be replaced along with the rear cab mounts. An older GMC hydraulic dump frame/bed may be added also if I can modify it.
These loads will only be hauled from local supply store and not highway driving. What is best way to increase load capacity?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2k-3k pounds is quite a bit. I mean that's about the same weight as the new VW Beatle (~2,700 lbs) - imagine that sitting on the bed. The suspension and drivetrain just wont be able to take it without some heavy modifications. So considering the resources required to do all of that, it might be more effective to just buy another (used) truck that already has the capability to meet your requirements off the bat. And FWIW, highway driving isnt whats going to kill the drivetrain, its slow driving which requires more torque (to accelerate say from a stop light).

Thanks for the wisdom, maybe I am being a little aggresive. So since the truck the bed is off and I will get it back on the road what should I do to a least beef it up some?

I am really disappointed I did not get a more helpful response.

I'll move your thread to the proper forum. ;)

I've carried ~1300-1500 in my Ranger, but I can't see carrying twice that.
If you don't want to buy a cheap old F250, look into beefier leaf springs at the minimum, add a rear sway bar if your truck doesn't have one. Swap in an 8.8 rear axle if your has the 7.5. LT tires if you don't already have them. That's all I got.

Oh, and reger the rear axle to a deeper gear. :thumbsup:

Well, now were getting somewhere, I do appreciate your thoughts. I cannot add another vehicle to my collection and must keep this one because it was a gift from the in-laws and will affect other gratuity down the road if they do not see it being productive. It has never hauled anything, up to the last year and springs are in great shape. It has hauled 1900# without effort or sway. I doubt if I will swap axel or regear at this point.
How effective are the Timbren suspesion systems? Thanks again.

I'd swap an Explorer 8.8" axle under there if you're trying to carry that much weight (has much larger wheel bearings than the Ranger axle). And even then, I still wouldn't go more than 2K lbs. Other things such as the frame and brakes are just not up to that (especially if it's been compromised by rust at all).

Ok, finally got all the parts and reassembling the spring hangers. I am using Dorman 722-011 brackets on the front of the leaf springs and bushing 274.6542 from Napa. There is a gap of about 3/16" (the width of 3 quarters) between the inner wall of the bracket and the bushing. Is it normal for there to be this much play? Should I install a few spacers to take up the slack?

Thanks,

Back