Instal Stock L/S into a different axle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instal Stock L/S into a different axle?

Equnoxe

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Exploder EB Edition
quick question...

i have a D2 axle from a 98 Sport with 260 000 (L/S and 4.10) sitting in my shop

and my truck has a axle "42" (open and 4.10) in it right now..

My question is would it be worth my while to take the LS out of the other axle and put it in my truck? would it make a noticeable difference for off roading? What would be involved in this swap? Ive never done it before.

Thanks again
-Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my opinion it's sort of a catch 22. If you swap the whole axle you'd probably have to rebuild the LSD anyway. But then if you ever want to install a locker down the road, you'd be better off with that open carrier you just took out. :p:

yea that's true, although i do have the D44/9" going in eventually so i won't be spending money on the 8.8. this was more so something to do cuz its free and i have the time.

I was thinking more like I could just pull the shafts out of the ends a bit, crack the pumpkin open and swap just the carriers. (pull off the bearing caps, pry out the carrier and put the "new" one in) Would I have to reset the gear pattern or would it still be the same?

would this work or is it more involved then I'm thinking it is.

aussielock her =p

No work right now :( :banghead:

I'm just looking for something cheap to help me offroad and to give me something productive to do on my X. :monkey:

Some report that OEM manufacturing tolerances are tight enough that you can swap carriers from one housing to another without any problems. Personally, I would not trust it. I would be prepared to reset up the gears, and consider myself lucky if the original shims gave me the right gear pattern.

IMO, the stock LS is not worth the effort, especially as a temporary thing. I'd save your effort until you are ready to put the other axles in.

Back