Installing a new all aluminum two core radiator | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing a new all aluminum two core radiator

You can try to use a shop vac to get all the crud out of the reservoir. Be sure the outlet nipple on the bottom flows freely, as this is where the clogging stuff ends up. Once clogged, it will allow expansion ( coolant into reservoir) but act like a one way valve blocking flow back into the radiator.

That sounds like a plan. I'll have to give it a shot...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cooler I got from a salvage yard. It came out of a late model F-350 V10. The fans I found on EBay. There is no thermostat on them, I have a switch in the cab to turn them on and off. I monitor the trans temp with the scangaugeII. The power runs through a relay for safety, and comes from a switched source so the fans shut off with the ignition.

Great idea. Just curious, What is best operating temperature for Trans Fluid?

Great idea. Just curious, What is best operating temperature for Trans Fluid?
I think most people say under 175, I'd like it to never hit 150. You can use an oil thermostatic adapter to keep it under 175 or 180, placed in the lines to the coolers. I've got a marine T'stat I'm going to get into such an adapter, and see if it'll divert fluid when the ATF reaches about 145.

I think most people say under 175, I'd like it to never hit 150. You can use an oil thermostatic adapter to keep it under 175 or 180, placed in the lines to the coolers. I've got a marine T'stat I'm going to get into such an adapter, and see if it'll divert fluid when the ATF reaches about 145.

interesting, I didn't know there was such a device. So as temperature increases, the adapters opens like a thermostat and flows fluid through...ie: the coolers? In essence, you can have 2 coolers with one as a primary and second as secondary via the adapter? I would like to put a gauge on my Trans fluid to monitor it. I have been looking at adding a ScanGauge II (*many references by other members here) which has all these features visible through your OBD II port.

As always, Thanks Don @CDW6212R

Look up remote oil thermostat, there are a bunch for oil, and even a differential gear oil version at 165*. Four lines go into it, and it turns the fluid back around to the engine(or trans etc), until the T'stat rating is reached, then it flows to the other lines(coolers/filters etc).
remote oil thermostat - Google Search

Just plugs into the OBD port. You do have to do a little programming to get it to read the TFT though. Its not difficult however.

I am looking into getting one. What kind of programming is necessary? Thanks!

Just get (or download) manual with it. It explains it pretty well. Its basically adding the extra information to the software telling it to look for the transmission temp

I'm going with this 2 Row Rad w/ Shroud off Ebay for $176 + Tax - If u look the OP's 2 Row has same upper mounting threads for Shroud as this one - EBAY sells Shrouds seperately also BTW - This one tucks the Flat Shroud in the space where a 3 Row has its 3rd Row so it will work on a 5.0 - There's a deal on a 3 Row for $133 but there wd be almost no air gap between Rad Fins & a Flat Shroud so 3 Row MAY only work with Mech Fan on a V6 or some NON Flat "trick" Shroud on a 5.0 - I will be deleting the PITA V8 Fanny Pack Clips so don;t need the V8 Radiator - I have big air gap between my present Homemade Flat Shroud w/ Electric Fan & the Stock 1 Row Rad on my 5.0.

- I deleted Tranny Rad Cooler LONG ago & run 2 Air to Fluid Coolers in series w/ Fans that kick on when AC Compressor kicks on... No need for Rad Tranny Coolers in SC - If u do fit Tranny Cooler Thermostat to a 4r70w UP NORTH then yes it MUST be one with bypass circuit.

NEW RAD W FAN & SHROUD.png

Finally got this in before it hits 90 ambient here - Its marketed as a V6 2 Row Rad so lacks the PITA Fanny pack clips - $186 Free Shipping on Ebay - I just mounted the existing V8 AC Condenser Brackets to Firewall - & YES I finall got to whip out my trusty Angle Grinder & whack the Thread Boss off last years new Water Pump... almost as fun as beating a hole thru the old Single Row Rad~! - My El Cheapo W1209WK W1209 Digital Temp Controller & Relays still working great - Temp wise I have Digital Temp Controller with Sensor plugged into Radiator as near to Pass Side Inlet as possible - To maintain a Temp on Upper Radiator Hose at about 192 Fan kicks On at 85C / 185F - Fan Runs until Temps are lowered to 80C / 176F - 5 Degree differential / hysteresis keeps Fan fm short cycling so much - I have 2 more small fans on my 2 Trans Coolers that come on when AC Compressor comes on - Working great, Dash Temp gauge never gets off the "Christmas tree" BUT highest Ambient Temp here in SC only 86 so far... that will be 90's soon.

Attachments

• V6 2 ROW RAD FRT.JPG
    V6 2 ROW RAD FRT.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 77
  • V6 2 ROW RAD .JPG
    V6 2 ROW RAD .JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 84
  • KIMG0497 (1).jpg
    KIMG0497 (1).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 79
  • KIMG0496 (1).jpg
    KIMG0496 (1).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 79
  • KIMG0495.jpg
    KIMG0495.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 84
  • KIMG0494.JPG
    KIMG0494.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 100
  • KIMG0493.JPG
    KIMG0493.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 89
  • KIMG0469.JPG
    KIMG0469.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 102
  • KIMG0492.JPG
    KIMG0492.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 103

Nice job
It's to bad my son and I would have painted it black but we tent to do that
I really like the fan shroud

Well once SC heat kicked in if u idled it for a LONG time with AC on the Coolant Temps climbed steadily - Needed the bigger 120Watt 3000 CFM 16 INCH Fan vice the smaller motored & thinner bladed 16 inch Fan it came with - Had to trim more off Water Pump & for even more clearance trimmed the front lip off the Rubber Radiator Mounts so Radiator could move forward & then readjusted Air Dam to suit - I have about 1 inch fm Rad Fan Motor to Water Pump I'm quite proud of - My new AC Condenser Coil mounted directly to Radiator Support so I had plenty of room.

Attachments

• RAD MOUNT TRIMMED.JPG
    RAD MOUNT TRIMMED.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 120 WATT FAN MOTOR 1 INCH TO WP.JPG
    120 WATT FAN MOTOR 1 INCH TO WP.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 120 WATT 3000 CFM FAN ON 2 ROW SHROUD 1.JPG
    120 WATT 3000 CFM FAN ON 2 ROW SHROUD 1.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 80
  • RAD MOUNT TRIMMED DRIVER SIDE.JPG
    RAD MOUNT TRIMMED DRIVER SIDE.JPG