Installing New Valve Body - HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing New Valve Body - HELP!

Reaction score
City, State
Hot Springs, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer, 4.0
Hey guys. So I have a 2WD, 2005 Sport Trac. The truck has been having numerous transmission issues, and I was told by a Ford Mechanic that it is likely due to one or more issues with the valve body, or solenoids. So, I decided to just replace them both to make sure the issue is solved.

I ordered the valve body and solenoid kit from eBay. I'll link it below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5R55E-Updat...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Now, this is my first "major" repair that I have ever done to this truck. I'm typically great with minor repairs, but I admittedly have very little clue what all is involved in this replacement process. I have 2 other running vehicles at the moment, so it's not a huge deal, but I'd really like to get this project done right the first time.

Taking the old valve body and solenoids out seemed fairly straight forward. I watched a few YouTube videos and had the pan dropped/body removed in less than 30 min.

So my question is this: what all should I be aware of, and what precautions should I take before installing the new valve body? I feel like it won't go in as easily as this one came out. Am I correct in assuming this? I've heard that one easy mistake to make is to forget to align the 'manual control lever'. But other than that, what should I be aware to ensure that this project goes smoothly?

Thanks for your any help.
Ty

Back