Installing sun visor with built in lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing sun visor with built in lights?

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
I was thinking about making a junkyard run and replacing the passenger side sun visor with one that has the built in vanity lights. Has anyone ever done this? How difficult is it as far as running wiring? And where do you wire it too? I have a 2000 X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did it in my Ranger, it really depends on what year you get it out of. I got mine out of a '97 it was one wire hook-up. I just installed some in my friends Ranger and his was two wire........

That's weird .. they didn't come stock? My '94 XLT has driver and passenger stock.

I wired my radar detector and dual vanity mirror lights from a 97 Ex into my BII, right into teh map light power circuit, 1 wire for the visors, they get their ground through the mounting bracket.
sImple, I ran the wires right under the headliner trim about 1" from the windshield

well if u don't want to run to the junkyard, i have a set of these from a 97, they are grey, someone wanted them so i pulled them out of the truck , they he changed his mind.

pm me let me know, make an offer, u pay S&H

huskyfan23 said:
That's weird .. they didn't come stock? My '94 XLT has driver and passenger stock.

Mine is an XLS so it didn't come with the lights, just a mirror.

JPA1982 said:
well if u don't want to run to the junkyard, i have a set of these from a 97, they are grey, someone wanted them so i pulled them out of the truck , they he changed his mind.

pm me let me know, make an offer, u pay S&H

Thanks for the offer, mine is tan though.

If you have ANY wire up there it will be cake.
Bring it by the shop and I'll give you a hand.

Thanks Mon. I'll let you know, I'm not sure if I'm going by the junkyard this weekend or not.

Back