Interior Shifter Mod.......anyone | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Shifter Mod.......anyone

The one thing that I've never liked about the interior of the X is the fact that it has a column shifter (auto). Has anyone ever done OR seen a center console conversion? I just like the feel and function of a console shifter. Somehow remove the ash tray/storage compartments, make or modify existing console parts, and install one of the B&M auto shifters. Then remove the column shifter and replace it with a control knob for some other feature, like the cruise control "power" button. I'm not much for designing or playing with shifter linkage, etc on these newer cars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was very interested in doing this for awhile. It turns out, that at least for me, with the 5.0 tranny, that there is not an aftermarket shifter out there that would work. They problem lying in the fact that my tranny has an electronic overdrive. I talked to quite a few people and that was the verdict. Actually, not true, i did find one shifter that would fit my tranny, but it was a full blown, air-assisted, race shifter....it was cray,....if you do find anything, i would be interested...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why wouldn't a shifter from a '94-'97 V8 Thunderbird or possibly V8 Mustang work?

Why couldnt you just relocate the O/D switch?

My UK explorer has an OD switch as part of the shifter. If you can turn the top around so that it's right handed that would work.

One way I thought of to take care of the OD button was to replace and or modify the existing shifter stalk and leave the OD button attached at the steering column as it is know but on a much shorter stalk. Seems logical, eh? Any thoughts?

Even if this works I must still find a shifter to mount in/on the console. Two problems I've found with this so far. (1) I haven't found a way to modify the console or someone capable of doing so to accept a console mount shifter (the console MUST look as if it were a factory product, not a botch job) and (2) I haven't found an aftermarket shifter that works with this trans (Hurst, B&M, etc) Any thoughts on this?

I am talking about converting to a B&M bump style shifter. I dunno, there was problems, me, Alec, and others discussed it.

Discussed this with a local shop that does repairs and some custom mods. They said that relocating the OD button may cause some "electrical resistance" problems. They have never seen or done a mod like this but said they'd give it some thought to see if it might be possible. I'm also going to check with a local Ford custom performance shop to see what they might have to offer. If it can be done this shop should know how. I'll report on what I find out. :confused:

Back