Into a tree | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Into a tree

Well, this honestly happened about a year ago, but when I did it I wasn't part of the site, so I haven't got around to posting it until now. I was tooling down a gravel road, went down this big hill and got going about 45. Now, my back brakes weren't working, and I didn't see the corner. Slowed down as much as I could, but it didn't happen. Went around part of the corner fine, but I then realized it was an "S" curve. I went around the second half sideways, over corrected and put it straight into a tree at about 30-35 mph. I pivoted around the tree, and ended up with the ass in a creek, and the front on the road. I wish I had pics where it happened, but I didn't have a camera with me. So here are the pics of the damage:

Car2.jpg

Car1.jpg

What you can't see, the exhaust also got snapped off from bottoming out on the side of the creek. Here it is after I fixed it to the best of my ability:

Image005.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea, i couldn't have asked for a more perfect hit, I only had to replace the bumper, grille, hood, and radiator. I also had to bend the core support back out. amazingly, the A/C condenser seemed to be fine, and so it's still in there

Man yeah kudos on that fix up job. I will have to go to you if i ever hit a tree like that.

Excellent work. Looks new. Good things the airbags didn't deploy.

Oh? Wasn't aware. Hm, they use the OBDI system also, don't they?

Did you drive that thing home after you hit the tree? Because it looks drivable still.

No, the radiator and tranny cooler got busted. If it wasn't for that, it would have been driveable. Also, the radiator had coned backwards over the fan, and the accessory drive belt got pushed back a couple notches.

Either way, it was running when I stopped, I had to turn it off. :thumbsup:

Jesus christ. I hit a tree once with my '92 and I thought I hit hard. All I did was bend the bumper. You must have been tooling good when you hit that tree!

I feel bad for the tree... lol

man that sux bout ur x but nice job bringin it back to life again

Back