iPod/Stereo help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iPod/Stereo help

V8Limited

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited
I'm trying to find a way to play my iPod in the car without using those FM transmitters, and products that plug into the cig. lighter (because my radar detector is already in the one thats up front). I know I could buy a in-dash ipod-ready stereo system, but that cost too much and isn't worth it. If you guys know of any other ways on how to listen to my iPod in the car, let me know please. I think there is a way where you can buy a aux. adapter and plug it into the back of the factory stereo, so that you could play your iPod through that. But I don't know if the 02-05 explorers have a aux input in the back, do they? Thanks in advance guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I did some research, and now I'm even more confused. I found two things that I might do, but have no idea whats the difference between the two. One is, I get an iPod Integration Kit, which you install going through the back of the factory stereo, and the other is cutting off the usage of the 6 CD Changer and using that wire to play your ipod. If I buy a iPod Integration Kit from let's say PIE, would that also not allow me to use my CD Changer? And whats the difference between the two, because they are both wires that go into the back of the factory stereo. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

On my dads 04 explorer he bought a cable that I pluged in the back of the stereo and now he hits the SAT button to play his mp3 player. He still has use of his cd player. I think he payed like $100 for the cable thought. If I remember I will ask him where he got it.

Oh, sweet. If I can find something like that, that'd be perfect. Thanks!

We have covered this before: Ford makes an accessory called Trip Tunes that is basically an adapter for the back of the radio that provides an aux jack to plug in your audio accessories. I believe you have to have either a 6 disc changer or sat capability to the radio to make it work. I don't remember if it worked on all 02-05 x's or not--mine is an 05 with sat capability installed in the radio. I had one of the trip tunes, but gave it away, because I found a replacement radio that worked better for me. Crutchfield also listed an aux jack accessory that plugged into the radio.
Bill W

Back