is $6500 too much for this truck?

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Looking at a 2000 Explorer LTD AWD (5.0 BABY!) w/ 83K on the odo. Truck is fully loaded obviously, moon roof, cd changer, htd seats, pwr lumbar, air suspension, reverse backup sensors, etc. Tires are almost brand new, and it has a crystal clean carfax...i'd be the 3rd owner; I know the current owner, it's had 3500miles put on it since they purchased it May of last year.

Truck is immaculate except for a tiny area on the rear bumper right under where the ball would be if it had the tow package; paint chipped and it rusted, nothing major and knowing me i'll prolly ding that area against a pole at sometime anyway.

is $6500 too much for this truck? I'd be buying it from a private seller.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a good deal to me. my 2001 xls with 4.0 has almost 90k and still runs great. A little rust on the bumper is nothing, just grind that nasty stuff off and paint it then you're good to go. Nice find!!!

it's actually my ex's mother's. She bought it last may, drove it for about a month, including a trip to NC and then went out and got an 01 Yukon because she didnt like how the Explorer drove.

The question is, "How do you get along with your ex-mother-in-law?" Does she love you or hate you? Will you be driving her grandchildren around in that truck or using it to pick up new women? This may be a good deal or her last chance to screw you! The decision is up to you.

The question is, "How do you get along with your ex-mother-in-law?" Does she love you or hate you? Will you be driving her grandchildren around in that truck or using it to pick up new women? This may be a good deal or her last chance to screw you! The decision is up to you.

I'm missed....let's just say the ex's new "toy" is an unmotivated tool who makes my ex pay all the bills cuz he's too lazy to get a job. Not that I want her back since she cheated on me with him...BUT, the ex Mother in Law won't screw me because she knows i'll pick up on it right away because I've known them since I was 7, and she knows I can screw her back ten fold.

That and the ex is trying DESPERATELY to become my "friend" again...

These latest details are almost more interesting than the truck itself... :D

I don't think it's a bad deal, I'd be thinking about $5,000 with the price of gas right now. And she won't want to be married to the ex in her driveway. The ex the truck, not the ex the ex, ah, nevermind! Ha ha!

:popcorn:

I haven't looked at prices lately but that sounds like too much to me. The older 4dr Explorers no longer hold their value well.

Sounds like way too much to me. I've seen them with under 100k for 3,000. I wouldn't pay top dollar for an Explorer since there are millions on the road. What state do you live in? If they use salt on the roads beware there is rust lurking under the running boards.

I really don't think thats a bad deal at all most XLS's of that year sell for around $6k But, if you were to ever want to sell it, you're probably going to have a hard time selling it so make sure you really want it and/or thats the price you really want to pay, since you're "loved" see if she'll let ya pay less'er for it.

I would also be surprised if it didn't have the tow package. I've never saw one without it.

if it helps, i just bought a fairly mint 2000 Eddie Bauer with the 5.0 (2wd) for $4100 plus another $400 to ship it. It has 78k on it. It will need new tires on it sometime this year...but other than that its been well mainteined with all major stuff done and was a one owner vehicle. A lot depends on what area you are in too...

Sounds like way too much to me. I've seen them with under 100k for 3,000. I wouldn't pay top dollar for an Explorer since there are millions on the road. What state do you live in? If they use salt on the roads beware there is rust lurking under the running boards.

For some reason 2nd gen's in NY are expensive. And the tires only have ~4K on them and they're Michelin Cross-Terrains.

And as far as ever getting rid of the truck....not going to happen I've wanted a 2000-2001 Limited V8 since I was in 10th grade. And even If I upgrade it will still be in the rotation.

And as far as the fact it's my ex's....I really wish it wasn't but it's the only one i've seen for sale with the kinda mileage and the options I want.

If you plan to keep it, I'd get it from down south. There is 90% chance that the stupid Ford running boards with their 100 holes in the body are rotting. This will peek through in a year or two, and by the time it does, the entire rockers are going to need replaced. Don't buy this one just because it is the first you see. There are tons of second gens rolling around. If you bought this one, you would see 10 in the next few months.
Are you in NYC?

If you plan to keep it, I'd get it from down south. There is 90% chance that the stupid Ford running boards with their 100 holes in the body are rotting. This will peek through in a year or two, and by the time it does, the entire rockers are going to need replaced. Don't buy this one just because it is the first you see. There are tons of second gens rolling around. If you bought this one, you would see 10 in the next few months.
Are you in NYC?

This is far from the first one I've seen. Next time I swing by i'll take a look at the running boards.

And as far as the fact it's my ex's....I really wish it wasn't but it's the only one i've seen for sale with the kinda mileage and the options I want.
This is what I was commenting on. You probably won't see the rust since the running boards cover it. It starts rusting in the 50 or so holes in each rocker that the running board clips into.

This is what I was commenting on. You probably won't see the rust since the running boards cover it. It starts rusting in the 50 or so holes in each rocker that the running board clips into.

Well the prospect of buying a vehicle from the south without being able to see it or test drive it doesn't appeal to me.

Based on Kelley Blue Book ( www.kbb.com ) that is a very fair price for your area. Cheaper is always better but if that is the truck you want, I would get it. From what I understand Kelley Blue Book takes the last 12 months of registered sell prices and the averages them to get their prices.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on Kelley Blue Book ( www.kbb.com ) that is a very fair price for your area. Cheaper is always better but if that is the truck you want, I would get it. From what I understand Kelley Blue Book takes the last 12 months of registered sell prices and the averages them to get their prices.

KBB is always a bit high... Edmunds is usually better and 6500 is right at the edmunds price.

Back