Quick amp question

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
My new amp is rated at 75x4 RMS or 250x2 RMS. I know that RMS is continous output, but is that 75 watts at full gain. The problem is that I only got a 10 awg wiring kit (because it was real cheap) for the amp because I am currently only running a pair of Pioneer 5x7s(40 watts RMS) with it. Later I am going to add two MTX 5000 subs, but don't plan on running them at full blast. They are rated at 250 watts RMS and 8 ohm. The reason for 8 ohm is so I can bridge the 3rd and 4th channel of the amp to get 250watts at 4 ohm(subs in parallel) if I want. So that would be a total of about 330 watts at the absolute maximum. This means I should get 8 awg cable right. Would this give my amp a longer life? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that if you went up a size (to an 8) would help out the amp a bit. It may keep it running cooler, and it will give your amp more juice. Just think of an hour glass. If you enlargened that hole in there, the sand would just go flowing through a lot easier, sort of like a bigger cable, it just gets electricity flowing a lot better, and gets more electricity flowing, too.

what kind of amp is it? then 10ga will work but if you eventually want to use subs with that amp then i suggest going up to 8ga. i say go up to 8ga anway, do it right the first time and save yourself from hassle in the future.

I agree with James and Rock. Just do it the first time with 8 guage, so you won't have to do double your work. You can get a small roll of 8 guage. I couldn't tell you exactly how much, cause it will depend on how you travel the wire. Like at first I was going to route it right under the driver's side like everyone else said, but then I ended up drilling a hole in the passenger side like Rock had done, and it saved me couple feet.

It's just helping to give your amp a longer life, because it's not starving the amp of power when it needs it. It's really hard to say if 8 is totally necessary, since you say you don't plan on running them at full blast, but full blast to one person is different from another.

If the amp is running 250 watts RMS from bridging, then that's 250 (subs) + 75 (right) + 75 (left), about 400 watts RMS. I know you're just using Pioneers at the moment, but someday you might want to get others that take more power. Try also, to first run your amp with as little gain as possible. The way to setup an amp is to turn the gain down and turn the head unit all the way up till you hear distortion. Turn it down till you don't hear it anymore, then turn up the gains secondly till it distorts, or it's too loud for you.

I don't think 8 guage kits are that much more expensive. I'd say take the one you got back. They should be no more that $30, and that's on the pricey side. For some reason, some kits come with RCA's others don't so make sure not to just pick one up without looking. There's not going to be any major differences at this level between manufacturers, so you could even go with a lower name brand. The only major difference will be in the RCA's and most people can get away with plain ones if they route everything correctly to avoid hiss, ground loops, etc.

Good luck,

Jon

Thanks Guys,
When I get the subs I'll definitely switch to 8 awg. Too bad I already ran the 10. Next time I'll just get some power wire, I already have everything else. Running that wire wasn't a big deal anyway. Just a little wasted time. The kit was only like $15, so I'm not worried. Thanks again.

By the way: the amp is a Crunch V-3004 that I got for $120 bucks from onlinecarstereo.com, with free shipping. Sweet deal, I couldn't believe it, but it's all legitamate. I recommend them, they carry a lot of name brand, including Rockford.

Back