Is the Explorer better? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the Explorer better?

Reaction score
City, State
Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB 5.0
Proud Owner of an 1999 EB Ex. with the V8, almost 200k miles on it. I consider myself a fan of the Ford Motor. And obviously of the great Explorer.

In past times I have run vs other trucks ( 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2012 Jeep Wragler, 2007 Toyota Tacoma) with mine and I think that is almost obvious who won that races. But, my question here is: Can my truck beat other vehicles? Maybe cars. Idk. Im just wondering. Im not a real expert about performance of each car. I would like to know your experiences with your trucks and if them can beat some Japanese crap or something like that. :thumbsup::usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do you lose against them with the V8..

You can win if you're running the engine as well as you possibly can.

Make sure the intake is clean, maf is clean, throttle is clean.
Run good oil, synthetic if you can.
Change your spark plugs for original ford ones.
Make sure your exhaust is flowing properly.
Maybe even a cold air intake or an aftermarket computer/tuner to plug into the obd2 port.

I've won races with my OHV V6.. against newer trucks. You might not have pressed the pedal hard enough. :D

Lol Yes they can. I smoked some punk that was driving a vw that was riced out. Funny thing was I was driving the wifes 5.0 xlt witch in no where even close to running like my v8 sport. Now a coworker of mine has a 350Z earlier tonight we ran them down the high way from a stop. My v8 sport pulled away form him tell we hit 60 then he barely passed me when we hit 80 then we stopped at that.

How do you lose against them with the V8..

You can win if you're running the engine as well as you possibly can.

Make sure the intake is clean, maf is clean, throttle is clean.
Run good oil, synthetic if you can.
Change your spark plugs for original ford ones.
Make sure your exhaust is flowing properly.
Maybe even a cold air intake or an aftermarket computer/tuner to plug into the obd2 port.

I've won races with my OHV V6.. against newer trucks. You might not have pressed the pedal hard enough. :D

Lol. I think you misunderstood me. In fact I won that races. But thanks for the tips!

Lol Yes they can. I smoked some punk that was driving a vw that was riced out. Funny thing was I was driving the wifes 5.0 xlt witch in no where even close to running like my v8 sport. Now a coworker of mine has a 350Z earlier tonight we ran them down the high way from a stop. My v8 sport pulled away form him tell we hit 60 then he barely passed me when we hit 80 then we stopped at that.

That souds great. I just want smoke some cars. :D

The 5.0 stock is not really that fast compared to most modern vehicles...I think 0-60 around 8 seconds? That's on par with a new compact car with a tiny four cylinder engine.

The 5.0 stock is not really that fast compared to most modern vehicles...I think 0-60 around 8 seconds? That's on par with a new compact car with a tiny four cylinder engine.

But, when vehicles are developing speed. Modern 4 cilinder will do it better than a V8? :(

well, the 5.0L v8 was the most powerful engine offered in the Gen II Exp, but it's a heavy vehicle with the aerodynamics of a barn door and the engine doesn't make much horse power (180 if i recall correctly) and speed is all about power-to-weight ratio. the engine can easily make more power with a cam swap, headers, cold-air kit (NOS or a supercharger if you want to go nuts) but if wanted to go fast, which is not a priority at my age, i'd rather put the money into a 5.0L Mustang.

still, i find the v8 Exp to have all the power i require in it's stock form, and you can't beat the utility, comfort and interior room.

well, the 5.0L v8 was the most powerful engine offered in the Gen II Exp, but it's a heavy vehicle with the aerodynamics of a barn door and the engine doesn't make much horse power (180 if i recall correctly) and speed is all about power-to-weight ratio. the engine can easily make more power with a cam swap, headers, cold-air kit (NOS or a supercharger if you want to go nuts) but if wanted to go fast, which is not a priority at my age, i'd rather put the money into a 5.0L Mustang.

still, i find the v8 Exp to have all the power i require in it's stock form, and you can't beat the utility, comfort and interior room.

That makes sense too...But, I think that 5.0 is rated to 215HP.

Apples and Oranges

I think if you look at the 5.0 engines in this series of Explorers you will find that they are quit potent in many areas as well as seriously lacking in others. Many of the spec.s on these engines nearly mimic the 5.0GT Mustang of 1995 before Mustang got the 4.6 engines. Some Explorers got the GT-40 heads and similar profile cams with comparable compression ratios.

The area that suffer most are the exhaust arrangements on the Explorer, the worst exhaust manifolds since the FE log type, the restrictive single pipe system with catalytic converters enough for three cars, and mufflers to satisfy my grand mother's need. All that chokes at least 40 horsepower from what this engine could be capable of. That is the first thing to be modified if you want to make more power in these cars.

As previously mentioned the weight and aero factors are totally negative to speed. If you are racing ricers that are no taller than my hip pocket then you will likely lose more than win. The Explorer was never intended for a speed contest, for that I use my 427 MR Fairlane.

Mike

That makes sense too...But, I think that 5.0 is rated to 215HP.

its rated at that brand new with 0 miles on it... his has 200k im sure he has lost some power to carbon build up, etc... a 200k mile motor is a tired motor.

also what gears do you have?

also against a newer 4 banger they are like half the power but also like half the weight.. and with a lot less miles a newer 4 banger would retain closer to its stock HP rating... also a car is way more aerodynamic than a big square box like the explorer..

the 350z is also a v6 and a 2 door sports coupe.. you should lose that race.. not sure how you kept up with him..

but on a side note if you want to go faster shove more air and fuel in the engine and get the air out of there faster.
torque monster headers, straight pipe, mac cold air intake, programmer from James at Henson performance, cam swap supercharge, turbo, nos etc...

its rated at that brand new with 0 miles on it... his has 200k im sure he has lost some power to carbon build up, etc... a 200k mile motor is a tired motor.

also what gears do you have?

also against a newer 4 banger they are like half the power but also like half the weight.. and with a lot less miles a newer 4 banger would retain closer to its stock HP rating... also a car is way more aerodynamic than a big square box like the explorer..

the 350z is also a v6 and a 2 door sports coupe.. you should lose that race.. not sure how you kept up with him..

but on a side note if you want to go faster shove more air and fuel in the engine and get the air out of there faster.
torque monster headers, straight pipe, mac cold air intake, programmer from James at Henson performance, cam swap supercharge, turbo, nos etc...

i have to agree. one if my daughters had a 2005 350Z and there's no way the Explorer 5.0L should beat one on acceleration.

Explorer V8 Specs -new
Displacement:
4942 cm3 / 301.6 cui

Power net:
160 kW / 218 PS / 215 hp (SAE net)/ 4200

Torque:
391 Nm / 288 ft-lb/ 3300

Vehicle Weight: 4080 lbs.

THIS..........IS.........TRUE........

:salute:

This is great information. And very useful. I know that an explorer possibly will lose with a 350z or something like that. But if we where talking about for example, Hyundai Genesis or a stock Mitsubishi lancer (not an evo). Some Hondas, or other suvs out there...what you guys can say?

My Ex has the 4speed auto. And 3.73 axle ratio. All stock.

you need to put a big fart can on it! cheers!

This is great information. And very useful. I know that an explorer possibly will lose with a 350z or something like that. But if we where talking about for example, Hyundai Genesis or a stock Mitsubishi lancer (not an evo). Some Hondas, or other suvs out there...what you guys can say?

My Ex has the 4speed auto. And 3.73 axle ratio. All stock.

what exactly is your question in this post?
will an explorer beat those vehicles?
i dont think it would beat any of them if your talking about new 2013 ones..
if you want a fast suv get a jeep cherokee srt8... 6.2 liter hemi something like 426 horses...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hell my dd is now my wifes old 01 outback..ll bean with the 3.0 h-6.

It has 200k on it and it will kick my 01 5.0 in a heart beat and get way better millage doing it.
Thing always gets 22 and can get 26 on the long stretch of a good highway at 65.
That said i still like my x better!
But every mile i put on the subie is a mile saved on the exploder!

All I'm saying is if you have bought a explorer to race rice burners you made a bad judgement call.

Back