Is there a upgrade to lighten the clutch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a upgrade to lighten the clutch?

nitro71

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
The clutch on my 93 Explorer is pretty stiff to the point that my crappy knee is feeling it when I'm shifting. I know, just take some Advil but was wondering if there is a upgrade such as a master with more leverage or something that would make it easier to shift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless there is something wrong they are really not that bad. The clutches on these trucks are about as light as they get. You could look at moving the pivot point but that will require you to adjust the throw. The best option is probably add an extension and make it fit the contour of the floor.

Changing masters is out of the question unless the displacement is matched to the OEM master. If that can be done you want a smaller piston with a longer throw.

A extension on the clutch pedal pad are is a good idea and might help me with the ergonomics. Don't really want to fab a hydraulic fix, was just hoping maybe there was a drop in upgrade that would lighten it. Actually, unless something is wrong with this thing, it has a pretty stiff clutch compared to everything else I've driven with a manual. Don't have to worry about riding the clutch on it : )

If it is that stiff, I would say there is a problem, maybe the pivot of the pedal is binding.

There is a problem with something.

Mine clutch was hard to depress before I did some work. I had to rebuild the tranny (unrelated) and replaced the slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and machined the flywheel.

Bled the clutch with Ate racing brake fluid and its very light now. I almost stalled the truck at first as the clutch will dis/engage in the first inch or two of pedal travel.

Might be a good idea to start with bleeding the clutch.

My 91 has been like that since I got it in 1990. You can make it better with a new slave cylinder and clutch. But it is still the stiffest Ford clutch I have.

Even after replacing the clutch and slave with aftermarket parts, the clutch pedal on mine was still light as could be, same as a car or anything nice and new.

When the cheap plastic shaft/pushrod on the original master broke, and I wound up throwing in an entire replacement master from the dealer, (since I couldn't get the new metal pushrod seperately) the pedal was incredibly stiff. It's somewhat easier to push when driving, but it's uncomfortable during heavy stop-and-go traffic and it's never gone back to the ease and lightness of the original.

I've recently discovered that the part number of the master I put in was the similar model for a 1991-92 Explorer or 1992 Ranger and not the actual 93-94 master which is slightly different along with the hydraulic line, so I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it.

I've since replaced the clutch, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, rear main seal, checked the flywheel, etc. along with bleeding the clutch over and over and it's made little to no difference in how hard it is to depress the clutch or how hard it pushes back.

I plan on putting in the correct original OEM Motorcraft part and seeing if I get my easy to push pedal back. It'll cost another $75-100, but it'll be worth it for the driveability. I'd say do the same on yours, just be sure you're getting the 93-94 Explorer part and accept nothing else.

Good call on making sure the master is correct. I'm betting someone has put the wrong combo of pieces in mine at some point. When I tear into the clutch, think I have a sticking pilot bearing I'll check that out also. Maybe I'll grab a master off a 93-94 at the junkyard and swap it in sometime. New project : )

you may want to bleed the master and slave cylinder with some fresh fluid. just make sure you don't get any air in the line.

My 91 is pretty stiff too. With brand new clutch at 135k, all bled down, machined flywheel, new OEM slave, it was still stiffer than anything else I've driven except for a 2-1/2 ton GMC winch truck. Guy at the shop who did the work (all they do is clutches) says that is normal for this vehicle. The old clutch was also pretty stiff. Nature of the beast? Maybe my master is knackered. Truck now has 220k on it.

dont know if this helps any but i have a 94 Ex and my clutch is stiff as hell. compared to my friends jeep, the car that he had, and my other bubbies Scout terra they all have light clutches compared to mine.

Since this got resurrected, I've been flexing my knee muscle before shifting. Seems to help my knee problem.

and yes i do realize that this thread is about 1 year old

whoops i red the date wrong i looked at the time it was posted not the year. i thought it said 2008

Maybe you can fit the setup off a second gen? I know my 01 clutch is very light, just like a car, but my 91 is much stiffer, like a full size truck. I prefer the feel of the stiffer one but it does wear you out after a few hours in traffic, my 01 does not.

i cant even feel the clutches in my automatic. maybe you need to change transmissions.

i cant even feel the clutches in my automatic. maybe you need to change transmissions.

this is about a manual transmisson setup. ive never heard of an auto having a slave or master cylinder

I hope that was meant to be funny...cause it made me laugh out loud... If you were being serious, then you need to spend a LOT more time learnding about your 'Sploder...

Either way, thanks for the laugh...I can't feel the clutches in my A4LD either...although I can smell them sometimes.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If anyone cares...

For 91-96, use a clutch / pressure plate from a 98 Ranger 4.0 ohv. Very light compared to the Explorer clutch setup. Plus it is 10 1/8" vs 10" so it has a lot more surface area and holds better.

Brett

Back