Is there a way to diagnose an airbag light w/o visiting the dealer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a way to diagnose an airbag light w/o visiting the dealer?

jade97

Reaction score
City, State
S.E. Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport & 2018 Edge
Is there a way to diagnose an airbag light w/o visiting the dealer?

2011 XLT 103k miles, has an intermittent airbag light. The last time I tried, my HF Code Scanner did not show any airbag related codes. Based on other posts, it's probably connector related. I would like to narrow it down to a certain passenger location.....

Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try FORScan.

This Ford tech posts here a lot, good info here at his YT library.
This is his air bag vid.

Thank you both! I need to see what the cost of the adapter is and if you can use the USB port for connection.

I've had the airbag lamp on for several months on my 2011 Explorer with 130K miles on it. My mechanic determined that it was a fault with the drivers seat belt, but couldn't pin point to which part. I think the inner belt would have cost $400+ to replace and the outer one about $800.

There are posts stating that as long as the warning light is ON, that the entire airbag system is inoperable.

Peter

Yes, the airbag system is deactivated when the warning light is on. Mine was intermittent for a few months, but now it's on steady. I drove over a million miles without airbags, but I'm a avid seatbelt user, so I'm not too worried. Also, it's not an inspectable item in the New York State inspections.

Sorry to hope on my soapbox but Ford cannot fix the airbag light if you held a gun to their lead technician. It is the worst piece of crap you can find on the planet.

Between five months ago and buying the Ford in 2011, I have had no less then six visits to Ford to have it fixed. These idiots changed out the seal belt retractor (driver's size seat belt), no less then six times before I raised hell and asked them if it "might" be something else. Three months ago a Ford tech and the local mechanic re-wired (that is what they told me) the retractor bypassing the larger pin connector which has been a source of issue for most of those getting the light.

So, yeah, you know where I am going. Three weeks ago the light went on again. I had asked Ford corporate to warranty their re-wire for a year, never heard back. The local tech told me I'd never see the light again. Only if I was blind.

So, 2011 Ford Explorer XLT, 66k miles, airbag light on now for the, wait, sorry, lost track.

This was the only Ford I never bought, and aside from this light, have really enjoyed the car, but I will never buy a Ford again, not after all this crap.

Sorry to hope on my soapbox but Ford cannot fix the airbag light if you held a gun to their lead technician. It is the worst piece of crap you can find on the planet.

Between five months ago and buying the Ford in 2011, I have had no less then six visits to Ford to have it fixed. These idiots changed out the seal belt retractor (driver's size seat belt), no less then six times before I raised hell and asked them if it "might" be something else. Three months ago a Ford tech and the local mechanic re-wired (that is what they told me) the retractor bypassing the larger pin connector which has been a source of issue for most of those getting the light.

So, yeah, you know where I am going. Three weeks ago the light went on again. I had asked Ford corporate to warranty their re-wire for a year, never heard back. The local tech told me I'd never see the light again. Only if I was blind.

So, 2011 Ford Explorer XLT, 66k miles, airbag light on now for the, wait, sorry, lost track.

This was the only Ford I never bought, and aside from this light, have really enjoyed the car, but I will never buy a Ford again, not after all this crap.

AMEN brotha...

Thank you both! I need to see what the cost of the adapter is and if you can use the USB port for connection.
I just purchased an OBDLink MX for CAD$130 (having owned various $10-$20 clones).
You can get one for about USD $80.

That used to happen on my 06 Explorer from time to time. Usually happens when the battery is weak and I let it sit for a few days. Replacing the battery fixed the problem both times it happened.

Mine had this..had to replace a relay in the rear passenger seat and told me with that light on..none of the airbags would come on if i were to get in an accident

I just purchased an OBDLink MX for CAD$130 (having owned various $10-$20 clones).
You can get one for about USD $80.
Have you used it yet? If so, does it tell you which airbag point/component is not working?

I had an intermittent failure on my '11. I found that disconnecting/reconnecting the connectors under the front seats fixed the problem. The challenge was that the failure was not repeatable or predictable. So I had to do both each time. It wasn't that hard to do after I did it the first time - but I never should have had to be doing it.

Have you used it yet? If so, does it tell you which airbag point/component is not working?

I had an intermittent failure on my '11. I found that disconnecting/reconnecting the connectors under the front seats fixed the problem. The challenge was that the failure was not repeatable or predictable. So I had to do both each time. It wasn't that hard to do after I did it the first time - but I never should have had to be doing it.

Still waiting on delivery of the OBD scanner...

Ours started as intermittent and then to solid. Wound up taking it to the dealer and they found a short I believe in the driver kick panel. A week later it came back on so I took it back. Ford called me and asked if it was intermittent before The repair of the short and my reply was yes. I was then told there was a code update for that. Since they performed the update the light has stayed off. I do not know what update was. I did not get an actual receipt due to them wanting to charge me again for a "computer scan" which I blasted them for wanting me to pay them again.

Back