• Register Today It's free!

Is this rod knock?

Arissett

Reaction score
City, State
Piscataway, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Explorer, XLT
Ok I have absolutely zero clue what this is. It literally just started like 10 minutes ago. Sorry for the very short clip but that’s what was allowed to send. Btw the clip of me walking is what it usually sounds like. Some context though. I have to replace my tensioner and fuel pump. So it could be either one of these. The actual driving experience is odd. As my engine rpm’s get higher the whole truck gets a lot shakier. I’ve also lost quite a bit of power. My truck almost completely shuts off as well if i Rev it up and hold it and then let it just fall. A nasty odor is now emitted from the driver side wheel well.

Attachments

• IMG_9889.MOV
    2.3 MB
  • IMG_9891.MOV
    3.2 MB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If for whatever reason you can’t view the videos. My truck sounds like it has rod knock from the driver side wheel well.

cant view, can you post to vimeo youtube etc. see my thread called sohc noise and compare noises, if the file is not still up eft me know.

ohv or sohc on yours

cant view, can you post to vimeo youtube etc. see my thread called sohc noise and compare noises, if the file is not still up eft me know.

ohv or sohc on yours
The 5.0’s were OHV right ?

ohv or sohc on yours
If for whatever reason you can’t view the videos. My truck sounds like it has rod knock from the driver side wheel well.
Ok I have absolutely zero clue what this is. It literally just started like 10 minutes ago. Sorry for the very short clip but that’s what was allowed to send. Btw the clip of me walking is what it usually sounds like. Some context though. I have to replace my tensioner and fuel pump. So it could be either one of these. The actual driving experience is odd. As my engine rpm’s get higher the whole truck gets a lot shakier. I’ve also lost quite a bit of power. My truck almost completely shuts off as well if i Rev it up and hold it and then let it just fall. A nasty odor is now emitted from the driver side wheel well.

That's major.

Check first all spark plugs are seated. Could have shot one out.

Then remove driver side one by one, keep on order check compression on driver side cylinders, compare to color of plugs. I feel it is valvetrain related

i agree with jon on his one, im inclined to believe its not the bottom end, aomething top end related imo

The 5.0’s were OHV right ?
You have the 5.0? Looks like a V8 badge on the fender. Check the spark plugs as stated above, if they look good, get a laser thermometer. Harbor freight has a good cheap one and probe the exhaust manifold on a cold startup. sounds like a dead cylinder.

Pull the dip stick and dab some of the oil on a colored paper towel.
Dilute with car cleaner etc. and look for sparkles or metal particles 1st.
If metal particles are found, then it's the engine.

Back