• Register Today It's free!

Is your throttle body clean?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Is tour throttle body clean?

I got an interesting suprise today when I changed my throttle body ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1258157#post1258157 ). I have always been meteculus about cleaning things on my truck, the TB is no exception.

From the first photograph, it does indeed appear spotless when looking into the bore. However, after removal, I was amazed at the crud build-up on the inside of the throttle plate ( as shown in the second picture.

It appears that if you want a really cleane TB, it needs to be removed from the truck and the inside of the throttle plate throughly cleaned.

Attachments

• DSC01208.JPG
    DSC01208.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 4,823
  • DSC01206.JPG
    DSC01206.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 4,922

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats fuggly, maybe thats why the seafoam techs recommend the PCV insertion point rather than the BB line on the SOHC engine, just a thought

I heard not to clean the butterfly because of some special coating?

huskyfan23 said:
I heard not to clean the butterfly because of some special coating?

Husky if it's that dirty I don't think the "Special Coating" is so special.....it needs cleaned. :)

The first photograph shows the untouched, dirty throttle plate.

I put the TB in a padded vice ( to hold it level, throttle plate up. On the top half of the throttle plate, I added Sea Foam ( Dead Link Removed ) out of the can and on the lower half, I added Sea Foam Deep Creep (Dead Link Removed ). I allowed each solution to stay in place for 15 minutes, and then drained it. The results are shown in the second photo.

This experiment shows that neither of these products did nothing to clean the plate.

I then tried Amsoil Power Foam on the top of the plate and Marine Motor Decarb ( I use this stuff on the carbs on the boat motors - really works well in that application ). Again, neither of these products cleaned the throttle plate after a 15 minute soak. As shown in the third photograph.

Tomorrow I shall try several other TB cleaners.

Attachments

• DSC01206.JPG
    DSC01206.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 4,686
  • seafoam.jpg
    seafoam.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 4,764
  • amsoil.jpg
    amsoil.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 4,822

What TB cleaners do you think are best?

Thanks ...........

"Gumout" Al, I think it's called intake and throttle body cleaner. Use that and a soft brissled tooth brush.

i used carb cleaner on mine..mine was nowhere that nasty..but it was still dirty. i noticed a better idle after cleaning mine.

I used the gumout stuff, it says it is safe for the special coating.When I clean mine, I use an old toothbrush. I open the butterfly fully and scrub the inside part, as well as the outside. I use a flashlight to check and this way seems to get the crud off the inside as well.

Critical_Level2 said:
I used the gumout stuff, it says it is safe for the special coating.When I clean mine, I use an old toothbrush. I open the butterfly fully and scrub the inside part, as well as the outside. I use a flashlight to check and this way seems to get the crud off the inside as well.
Special coating? the product might say 02 sensor safe, is a brass butterfly plate, is no special coating

aldive said:
What TB cleaners do you think are best?

Thanks ...........
Remove the plate, soak it in lacquer thinner overnight, will be prestine come the morn

spindlecone said:
Remove the plate, soak it in lacquer thinner overnight, will be prestine come the morn

Are there any bushings that may breakdown if left in thinner all night and then allow unmetered air (vacuum leak) to bypass the valve?

This according to my Ford service manual:
The TB and plate Do have a special coating and should NEVER be cleaned.

Just curious why is it so important that is clean?

Intresting, I'll have to throw that on my list of chit to do

I might pull mine out today and see how it looks.

"intake snake" LOL!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The upper half of the throttle plate was soaked in 100% acetone for 15 minutes. The lower half had Gunk Engine Cleaner for 15 minutes.

That crud is tough stuff ....

Attachments

• tb clean 3.jpg
    tb clean 3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 4,841

Back