• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Jamest's 74 Bronco buildup

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Awsome, thanks. I do happen to have many 8x12 sheets of mild, stainless and alum. laying around so im sure I can find something. Why and what would need to be turned on a lathe? I dont think a lathe will fit something like that. I was going to use cad to make a template for the holes, center punch them and use the mechanical punch to finish them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
They gotta be perfectly round. You cant get perfectly round with freehand plasma. Now, if you've got a CNC in your garage or something that would work. :D

Jakee

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
I see some highly skilled work going on in here! Looks good so far.

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
I got the frontend on the ground Friday. Everything is tacked into place and lined up, so as soon as i can figure out a tracbar mount it will come back out and get final welding. The tracbar hits the crossmember just sitting at static ride height so the frame mount will need to be right under the steering box. So, im leaving it alone for a while and working on the rear... as i get the rear done ill figure out a tracbar mount.

The leading edge of the tires are even with the front edge of the headlights. I think i might need to trim the fenders some. :D

Attachments

• bronco5.jpg
    bronco5.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 171
  • bronco4.jpg
    bronco4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 175

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
holy approach angle! nice work

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Whats the final wheelbase?

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Oh fantastic :D

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
cool stuff. looks good - I like the IROKS! Keep up the good work and I'm excited to see a final

-Drew

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
More progress.

I got everything out from under the back and the rear portion of the frame slicked up. I welded in all the little holes that never get used and cut off the old shockmounts, bumpstop mounts, etc. etc.

I had to cut alot off of the truss to get the ubolts on. Its all but useless now, other than holding the tubes to the center section i guess.

Attachments

• bronco8.jpg
    bronco8.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 139

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
Here it is on the ground-

Attachments

• bronco6.jpg
    bronco6.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 141
  • bronco9.jpg
    bronco9.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 137
  • bronco7.jpg
    bronco7.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 138

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
The approach/departure angles are to die for! Looking awesome :D

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
More progress.

I had to cut alot off of the truss to get the ubolts on. Its all but useless now, other than holding the tubes to the center section i guess.

Why didnt you just slot the truss where the u-bolts would have poked through? That is what alot of the desert guys do when running them to keep the truss the full length.

It is looking good!

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
Why didnt you just slot the truss where the u-bolts would have poked through? That is what alot of the desert guys do when running them to keep the truss the full length.
It wouldnt have done any good... i only cut off about 2" from either side. At the point were the Ubolts needed to be i would have had to completely cut the truss in half since it tapers down so thin there.

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
I don't remember reading, but i'm sure you posted...what leaves are you using?

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
They are the 11 leaf rockcrawlers out of the James Duff kit im using off of the old green Bronco. I removed the bottom leaf to make them 10 leafers, and may remove another once its finally all together. Its funny, because they look stiff as hell and they are short, but they flex awesome and dont have much axle wrap.

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
I thought they looked really stiff, but they look good on there. I was trying to find another solution for leaves on mine, might have to see how yours turn out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SVO

Moderator Emeritus/Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Turbocharged Navajo LX
Great work James ;)

Jeff - :navajo: