Jeep adds LESS-rugged vehicles?!?! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jeep adds LESS-rugged vehicles?!?!

why does everyone everyone bring up the IFS part of the liberty to make fun of it? you know.. we have IFS also! and our rigs are pretty darn capable. i've seen a group of liberties on the trail with like 2" lifts and mudders. they actually looked good and they were doing really well. besides.. they have more travel in their IFS than we do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I truthfully dont get all the hype on jeeps being so "off-road capable". I havent been impressed by a jeep yet offroading. Especially this past weekend wheeling with a YJ that had a 2.5" skyjacker and 31x10.5 tires- it got stuck on some pretty weak stuff. It may have a lot to do with an inexperienced wheeler driving, but if these things are so off-road capable as the hype says- it shouldnt matter who's driving... i could have riden a huffy up one hill that he couldnt get up. I love our explorers! IFS or not, with a few mods we have awesome offroad vehicles and still a classy eye catching ride on the street. No doubt about it- id buy my explorer all over again.

Hmm twelve grand to convert a customer supplied stock jeep into a Brute body style. No suspension upgrades etc.

"besides.. they have more travel in their IFS than we do." JasonB

How much more are we talking here? A few inches?
I have yet to see a liberty in action, but it looks way too soccer mommy to me....I wouldnt buy it.
Also the new grand cherokee looks dead up like a Durango.
I like the old Chrystler idea of having jeeps for the solid axle and Dodge for the IFS.
too bad they gotta give in...but it makes me happy knowing that the Wrangler will be the only beast coming out of Jeep from now on. HAHAHHA! more power to the explorer baby!

Looks like its a Toyota 4Runner for me if I was gonna buy a new mid size SUV with IFS.

Wouldn't that be cool if solid axle was an optional upgrade for all SUV's, instead of a cosmetic Z71 upgrade. OOPS, did I hurt the chevy fans, my friend has one.

At least the Liberty has low range.

Back